Taser death in QLD

Iron Zombius

Sep 6, 2007
Taser death: stun gun fired 28 times

Police are testing the Taser to see if it malfunctioned. (Qld Police)

Audio: Interview with Deputy Commissioner of Queensland Police Ian Stewart (AM) Map: Townsville 4810
Related Story: Man 'tasered up to 3 times' before death Related Story: Police Taser death ignites debate Civil liberties groups are demanding a more thorough investigation after it emerged a Queensland man who died during an arrest last week may have been tasered by police more than 20 times.

Queensland Police initially told the media the Taser was used up to three times when officers tried to arrest Antonio Galeano during a violent struggle at Brandon, south of Townsville, last Friday.

The 39-year-old collapsed and died a short time after being stunned by the 50,000 volt gun.

Data collected from the weapon reveals it was fired 28 times. The data does not reveal the target.

Further testing is being done but the police union is standing by the officer who fired the weapon.

On Monday, Police Minister Neil Roberts and Commissioner Bob Atkinson suspended any further rollout of the Tasers and ordered the Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC) to review the use of the gun.

Queensland police say the investigation into the man's death will be completed within a month.

Investigation

The Deputy Commissioner of Queensland Police, Ian Stewart, says it is not clear how many times Mr Galeano was stunned.

He told ABC Radio's AM program that police are trying to work out just how the Taser was activated each time.

"Whether or not they were in probe mode - where the weapon is actually fired and the probes are ejected from the weapon, or whether it was in stun drive mode - where the weapon is placed against a person or an object," he said.

He says there is an ongoing investigation into all of the circumstances involved in the incident.

"I am not going to talk about the specifics of that investigation, only to say that as a result of further information that came to hand from that investigation the review into Tasers has been commenced," he said.

"That is an independent review in terms of our ethical standards and jointly with the CMC in Queensland undertaking a review of our policies, training and monitoring of the use of our Tasers.

"The review is expected to be completed within four weeks and then obviously there is issues to do with the inquiry being conducted by the coroner, but the information that can be released will be released to the public."

Deputy Commissioner Stewart would not comment on whether Mr Galeano was handcuffed when he was tasered.

He says there are significant policies surrounding the use of Tasers and they are used only in serious matters.

"It is a serious use of force option which we make available, next only to the use of a service firearm, and the reality is that the use of Tasers actually saves lives," he said.

He says there is policy in relation to the number of times a Taser can be fired at someone.

"We do have policy in relation to this but it's situational, meaning that we ask our officers to reassess constantly their use of any force option available to them and that includes Tasers."

'Baffling data'

Queensland Police Union acting president Ian Leavers says it is hard to know exactly what happened during the arrest at Brandon last Friday.

"The reported results of the gun's data are baffling, concerning, and I believe are at odds with a number of other crucial pieces of evidence," he said.

"It should be remembered that there are a number of other crucial testing results that will shed more light on the likely cause of death."

Mr Leavers says Mr Galeano was extremely aggressive, armed with an iron bar and broken glass, and had harmed himself before officers tried to arrest him.

He says he is confident the officers involved have been honest and frank during the investigation.

"I've spoken to them at length - I spoke to them in Ayr - and I'm confident they told the truth," Mr Leavers said.

Mr Leavers has called on the State Government to immediately free up funds to install camera attachments on all Tasers.

"I believe at this point in time it is imperative that we have cameras attached to all Tasers because that will record each and every movement everything that happens - than there can be no doubt," he said.

Meanwhile, Queensland Opposition Leader John-Paul Langbroek says the Liberal National Party (LNP) is in favour of Tasers.

"We've always supported the police using Tasers, but clearly there's an investigation into the particular incident and I await that investigation with interest, the outcomes," he said.

"But clearly the police need to have non-lethal methods to use on offenders."

Anyone see the footage of that guy being arrested in England? He was being held on the ground, couldn't move, then a cop said "Taser taser taser!" and shot him with it. Did that a few times while another cop punched the guy in the head.

What concerns me is that these things are about to become standard issue for cops in NSW. There is some eliments of the NSW police force that enjoy the power they exert over the general population. These things will become the latest toy and some elements of the force that cant wait to try them out on the street.

They WILL be used unnessisarily and more incidents like this will happen.

It pisses me.

Remember when CS was being phased in ?

It was a new "non-lethal" alternative, that would only EVER be deployed when the only alternative would be for Police to shoot them...sounds fair.

Well here in Lithgow, CS appears to be saving 70 or 80 lives per year, as that's about how many times CS is deployed.

So according to the original argument, our local Police would be shooting 70 or so people every year ?

It's bullshit...

When they get another "non lethal" option, pretty soon, they'll be using it routinely as well.

That's a good point, considering the number of people who are shot by police every year on average barely reaches double figures. Years ago cops hardly ever even drew their guns. Now they're tasering people and capsicum-spraying drunks like no one's business. It can't be because people have got more violent, because that's just not the case. I think it's more the case that cops have something they can use that doesn't put holes in people.

I really dont know how violent a person would be who is on ice , I suppose if the person is mega violent then at least there is CS and a taser before a gun is used.
I gotta agree with Dave, if you dont get into trouble then there is nothing to worry about , maybe I'm being a little simple here but I still do have a high level of respect for the Police , I have been brought up that way and still continue to have that opinion.

That's a good point, considering the number of people who are shot by police every year on average barely reaches double figures. Years ago cops hardly ever even drew their guns. Now they're tasering people and capsicum-spraying drunks like no one's business. It can't be because people have got more violent, because that's just not the case. I think it's more the case that cops have something they can use that doesn't put holes in people.

Ice can make you violent and irrational, but usually no worse than a billigerent drunk, and they don't usually taser drunks. The thing is that these things should be used as the second last resort, not every time someone resists arrest or throws a punch, which seems to be what's happening. Most people will usually stop being stupid just having a taser pointed at them, much like they would if it was a gun. There should be almost no reason to ever shoot, taser or capsicum someone and yet, as Shannow has pointed out, in a tiny town like Lithgow they've sprayed more than 70 people in a year. Lithgow is a cold, boring place, but it can't be that violent.

and if both are so safe, and Lithgow so dangerous, then why can't my Missus carry either in her handbag ?

Being caught with either of those "prohibited weapons" is $10k fine, and/or 2 years in gaol

then why can't my Missus carry either in her handbag ?

Being caught with either of those "prohibited weapons" is $10k fine, and/or 2 years in gaol

Because the government doesnt want the average joe to just fire them off willy-nilly. They need to be in the hands of trained professionals who wouldnt fire them say.....28 times.

I wonder how many taserings there will be in lithgow after the NSW government rolls them out across the board?

the cops SHOULD have tasers and capsicum spray for this simple reason;

cops should NOT be brawling in the street with law breakers, criminals, trouble makers or whatever you want to call them. That's the option when they are trying to prevent the continuation of an offence, either the criminal says "ok i'm busted" and complies with the police instructions, or they refuse to comply and force has to be used. If force has to be used, brawling in the street is undignified and unprofessional. More to the point, the copper's job is not to be a punching bag for whatever drunken yobbos like their chances of getting away with it. Then you'd have the whole other issue of the courts failing to adequately sentence criminals who seriously injure police officers in such violent confrontations... the cops shouldn't be expected to put themselves at any more risk than is absolutely necessary, so the taser &/or capsicum spray is an ideal level of escalation in the use of force continuum.

I deal with the police quite a bit in my job and also while trying to get a taxi home while blind drunk on weekends, and I always find them to be quite nice friendly and reasonable.

My argument isn't that they should not have these things, my argument is that they should only be used when all else fails. The amount of people who are being tasered seems way out of proportion. Tasers are supposed to be used only when the only other option is to fatally shoot someone, but judging by the number of people being tasered, the police just seem to be using them whenever a suspect gets a little out of hand. The police have every right to have everything available to them to uphold the law, but they should be using them responsibily. As a friend of mine once put it, the police are servants of the law, not the law itself.

Jesus - if John Kerry carried on talking while a demonstrator was tasered for daring to ask him uncomfortable (and, admittedly, stupid) questions, and then not wanting to be dragged out by police, I'm kinda thankful he didn't get voted in...

Last edited by a moderator:
My previous post is being answered in real life.

Talk of arming Beumont and Vlasnic with tasers, maybe better half will be able to "carry" one day.