Teach a dumb guy to sidechain!!!

musickey

djenital moosic
Feb 17, 2006
INDIANA
Ok fella’s, PLEASE explain to me how to set up a gate side chain using the recorded transducer signal from a drum kit, I’m using Nuendo 2 and I have the Wave Diamond bundle. Just assume I have the drum tracks recorded and the trigger tracks as well. Thanx in advance I will be tracking a band this weekend and want to try and apply this technique!

I will be sampling the drums and posting them when project is completed.

In protools it goes like this:

From the recorded transducer signal track, you send out a buss (say buss 1 for tom1).

You put your gate on the original tom track and assign the gate's key input to buss 1. Then the gate should open once it "hears" the signal from the transducer track.

You might want to nudge the transducer track a little bit forward to make sure the gate opens a split second before the actual hit comes.

1.set up stereo group, insert c1-gate in that group, mode sidechain L>R

2.send trigger track to that group (in the advanced send mode (click on that little "e" ) you can pan the sends).

3.send track to be gated to that same group, panned right.

now the left (trigger) signal triggers the gate on the right side.

4.set panner on that stereo goup to "dual panners" and pan the right-part-panner to the middle-----viola..

prost

LSD-Studio said:

2.send trigger track to that group (in the advanced send mode (click on that little "e" ) you can pan the sends).

4.set panner on that stereo goup to "dual panners" and pan the right-part-panner to the middle-----viola..

prost

LOL damn thats it? just kidding man can i con anyone to post some screen shots of this im sure im not the only one having problems with this. if you were to do this i can send a hooker your way to show my appreciation. sorry im so thick skulled im the type of guy that has to use the fat crayolas

musickey said:
if you were to do this i can send a hooker your way to show my appreciation.

DEAL!!!

working on it, hang on.....

group%20insert.JPG

trigger%20screenshoz.JPG

to%20be%20trig.JPG

4.set panner on that stereo goup to "dual panners" and pan the right-part-panner to the middle

dual%20panner.JPG

-----viola..

i prefer brunette

prost

In general, if you have one trigger track and one miced track..which of this 2 is the track I have to replace with samples using drumagog? I ask this because with DG I can replace with no problem the trigger signal or the track..

Ok..but if I want to use sidechain tecnique...it has sense only if I want to use the miced track only..or no?
If I replace with drumagog using trigger track, I don't need to gate the miced track... am I wrong?

::XeS:: said:
Ok..but if I want to use sidechain tecnique...it has sense only if I want to use the miced track only..or no?
Not necessarily.
If I replace with drumagog using trigger track, I don't need to gate the miced track... am I wrong?
If you don't use the miced track no, but if you do (by blending natural and samples), you still might want to gate it.

Ok..thanx for your answers!
I asked the question in post #12 because I've more problems replacing the trigger track rather than audio track, and I wanted to know what do you do..
Thanks

I have problems with the drum tracks posted in the mixing contest by MKS.
I apply drumagog to the trigger track and I try to set the sensitivity for take all the right hits but there are always problems (more hits than necessary or hits jumped)
If I apply drumagog to the miced track, I set the sensitivity more quickly and it works well...
I don't' know why...