Techy Melodeath track. Beast mode vocals.

Cyanide_Anima

yooveesevenbeekay
Apr 14, 2005
everrot, WA
New track finished and mixed down. Pretty confident with this mix. One of the few mixes I've done where I don't really dislike anything about it as a whole. I used a bit more verb than I usually would but I kinda wanted the vocalist to sound like a ginormous marvel supervillian. There isn't much processing on the vocals this time. Less is more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks bro! The kick is the infamous Brain Kick sample mixed with a sonar kick. Love that sample. Everyone manages to get it to sound somewhat unique too, which is really cool. I don't believe I've heard two mixes with this sample sound the same.

Sounds pretty good! I like the guitar tone and especially the lead tone. It sounds distant and slightly ambient. Reminds me of Fallujah a little bit. I think the snare and toms might need a bit more work but that's probably a subjective matter.

;)

Cool song and great vocals!
To me, the snare is a little bit too snappy and loud. That also would be great to make the mix's low end tighter (currently the bass seems muddy a little, IMO).

Thanks for checking the mix out dudes. I would totally agree a bout the snare and toms. They are my weak points for sure. I have a hard time getting snares to smack hard while still sounding natural and keeping the body and meat in there too. More snare bottom? I believe it's the metal foundry black beauty snare. I has a sound to it that is nice, but then I wreck it with compression.

I'm alright with it seeing as that it's not an obnoxious snare, hut it still doesn't make you go "yeah! that snare is sweet!" either. I would love to get there, though, for sure. What would you guys recommend doing to help in that area? How do you smash the snare and keep it meaty and still have a natural sound to it without layering a bunch of snares? I'm not too keen on layering samples because they start to sound weird after a couple of layers. I really only use an additional kick sample because the metal foundry kicks are just terrible. I guess I need to grow out of that.

The guitars and bass are PODHD. I still love pod stuff. You can get it to sound really good if you are patient with it. I like how aggressive the top end is compared to the axefx. Only hp/lp on the guitars at 90hz and 7.3k respectively, nothing else is done to them other than cla LA3A just on the bus not really doing anything, its just there keeping an eye on em.

edit: the flubby bass is likely caused by my inability to play bass guitar. I'm a guitarist so playing on those big ol' strings is freaking weird and uncomfortable, not to mention the wide stretches, etc. Hopefully one day I will find a bassist who can play who also isn't a complete flake and lives close. Probably not tho.

Thanks for checking the mix out dudes. I would totally agree a bout the snare and toms. They are my weak points for sure. I have a hard time getting snares to smack hard while still sounding natural and keeping the body and meat in there too. More snare bottom? I believe it's the metal foundry black beauty snare. I has a sound to it that is nice, but then I wreck it with compression.

I'm alright with it seeing as that it's not an obnoxious snare, hut it still doesn't make you go "yeah! that snare is sweet!" either. I would love to get there, though, for sure. What would you guys recommend doing to help in that area? How do you smash the snare and keep it meaty and still have a natural sound to it without layering a bunch of snares? I'm not too keen on layering samples because they start to sound weird after a couple of layers. I really only use an additional kick sample because the metal foundry kicks are just terrible. I guess I need to grow out of that.

The guitars and bass are PODHD. I still love pod stuff. You can get it to sound really good if you are patient with it. I like how aggressive the top end is compared to the axefx. Only hp/lp on the guitars at 90hz and 7.3k respectively, nothing else is done to them other than cla LA3A just on the bus not really doing anything, its just there keeping an eye on em.

edit: the flubby bass is likely caused by my inability to play bass guitar. I'm a guitarist so playing on those big ol' strings is freaking weird and uncomfortable, not to mention the wide stretches, etc. Hopefully one day I will find a bassist who can play who also isn't a complete flake and lives close. Probably not tho.

For the snare thing: I wouldn´t compress too much. You want the snare to breathe and sound "alive" and not dead. Just go back on the compression - same as you mentioned with vocals, "less is more". Also add ROOM!!! Drums live with room mics blended in. I would go easier on the snare drums compression, but go harder on the room mics. Cool song btw!