tendinitis

MightyDrynwhyl said:
does anyone know exactly how you develop tendinitis from playing guitar like Demonaz from Immortal did? yes i know its a stupid question but hey, better safe than sry

Hmm i wasnt aware that you can get tendinitis from PLAYING GUITAR....
I was under the impression that such conditions were more genitic than anything.

Tendonitis is a condition you develop after excessive repetition of "unnatural" movements of the wrist. Directly translated from latin, tendonitis means "inflammation of the tendon". You usually get it if you practice too much without warming up, taking breaks and stretching your wrists. If you have stiff shoulders and neck, that adds to it as well. I suffer from it myself, and it hurts like fuck on bad days. I stretch and stretch, but it never seems to lose it`s grip. Oh well...

I've gotten tendonitis from lifting weights before. It makes sense that you can get tendonitis from straining your wrists with lots of weight, but to get it from playing guitar you must be using improper technique or something. I play guitar too, and my right wrist sometimes gets tired from picking after playing a long time, but I never got tendonitis from it.

You don't get tendonitis from bad technique! :tickled: It is caused by repeat repitition of a very specific motion, e.i. jerkin your gerkin or playing guitar, kind of like carpul tunal(WTF SP?) I haven't gotten it yet, but I am waiting, I must jerk and play guitar more than anyone else on the planet! :D AND WARM UP BEFROE YO GET TO SERIOUS RIFFAGE SPEED, it not only prevents common ailments, it makes you play better as well.

Warm up is done by playing things slow, then working them up to speed.

maybe a simple up and down scales, the 1-2-3-4 hammer thing.
Playing slow 16ths on open string foryour picking arm, etc
Just enough to get the blood moving and the muscles ready to push themselves