Testament "Formation Of Damnation" Drumtone Test (DFHS)

smy1

Apr 8, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
www.faderhead.com
Hey everyone,

I got my copies of Testament's "The Gathering" and "Formation Of Damnation" yesterday and I really love the drumsound on "Formation ...". So when I couldn't sleep properly tonight, I decided to try and get in the vicinity of this very cool drumsound and this is what I came up with:

http://www.faderhead.com/blogs/mp3/faderhead_testament_FOD_drums_tonetest.mp3

This is DFHS with sample replacements:

kick = my own Tama Starclassic samples
snare = pantera snare
toms = andy's chimaira toms

The Testament track I worked with is "Danger's Of The Faithless" and the intro and the first beat is pretty much the same in my little piece.

EDIT: I updated it and added the first few bars of the original track to the beginning of the file for comparison. Andy, if this is not cool and infringes copyrights, please let me know and I will remove it immediately!

Of course I couldn't duplicate it completely but I think I got quite close, what do you think? Any comments?

@Element: like everyone else - Drumagog.

Kick is replaced 60%, snare replaced 70% on Snare Top, Snare bottom is louder though, Toms replaced 70%.

@Atheist: it's just 2 sends

1) Audio Damage Reverence on "Dark & Long" Preset (rolled off at 100hz and 8khz)
2) IK Multimedia CSR Plate on the "Looong Plate" Preset (rolled off at 100hz and 9khz)

Toms and OH go to the Reverence Plate. Snare Bottom Mic goes to the CSR Plate. That way the attack of the snare (the sample on the Snare Top Mic) doesn't get fogged up by reverb but the "meat" of the snare gets stretched by the reverb.

I also tried adding the tom reverb in the manner that the toms would be spaced if I was standing in front of the kit. That means that racktom 1 (on the right) is further back than racktoms 2 and 3 and the floortoms on the left are further back than the racktoms, with floortom 2 being even further back than floortom 1. I just added more reverb the further the tom should be back in the stereo field ...

this totally kicks ass. could you do me a favour and makes some samples (100% wet) of the toms, kick and snare? maybe with some different velocities for direct using in drumagog? I know I'm asking much but I know others on this forum will be thankfull too. you could be the hero of the day ;)

this totally kicks ass. could you do me a favour and makes some samples (100% wet) of the toms, kick and snare? maybe with some different velocities for direct using in drumagog? I know I'm asking much but I know others on this forum will be thankfull too. you could be the hero of the day ;)

Can you elaborate on what you want me to do exactly, cause all the samples I used for replacement of kicks/snare/toms are available already??

I think I don't understand ...

Infact, how on earth did you get that kick punch/clarity? Ive got that sample, which Freq's did you tweak for that bit of devastation? :p

Hey Shred, here are the settings for the DFHS kick channel:

Inserts:
Drumagog: original kick replaced 60%, pitch: -7
Waves API 550b: +4db at 12,5khz
Sony Oxford EQ: HPF at 42hz/ +4db at 100hz Q2,8 / -5db at 369hz Q2,83 / +1,2db at 1,8khz Q2,8 / +3,6db at 7,3khz Q2,8

Thats about it. The real trick is that after that I roll off the high frequencies on the Cubase EQ down to 4,4khz with a slow curve. That way I get rid of the annoying click but still preserve clarity.

I've noticed that this is a good way to preserve clarity without getting annoying harshness: use a good EQ to boost the top end and then slowly roll off the top end with your DAW EQ, use a "long slope" not a steep EQ cut.

Try it and let me know how it works for you.

Awesome, ill give that a shot now! Much appreciated taking the time to help too. (ive been DYING to get close to this albums drum sound ever since I heard it)

Just so im sure which DFHS kick did you choose? DW1?

And the starclassic sample that you use, is it the one thats huge with a load of ambience or the "new starclassic" where you sampled the whole kit and hard, medium and soft velocities sample?

Right cool ive just give it a go, ill post a sample tommorow (using shitty headphones atm). I don't have the API EQ so ive used a SSL EQ, hopefully that will have a similar effect..

All kinda changes a bit when ive put some master EQ on so im using the "less is more" approach to that. I love the way the kick and overheads react with such power on your clip. Is it just a case of rolling off at 600hz boost from there upwards keeping a decent amount of mid range in there? :worship:

Right here's my attempt, anymore advice Smy1 on getting a touch closer to your sound is welcome. Sounds like there is a touch too much top end "click". I have took that slow dip to around 4k out which helped take the "cheapy top" out. Not too far off but it could sound a bit punchier/warmer. BTW the clip is a slight steal from the midi file included in a black metal mix a while back, it was the closest thing to hand! :)

:headbang:Thanks

http://www.esnips.com/doc/b866d7a5-95be-484f-8ae8-2f529de1559e/testament_drumsample1

Ah ok ill let some more of that ambience through, maybe thats where im loosing a touch of low end thump? Didn't you use any compression?

NIN still rules though ;) (older stuff) :p