TESTAMENT Parts Ways with Bassist and Announce Replacement

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Legendary Bay Area thrashers TESTAMENT have released the following statement:
“It is with much respect that we announce our mutual parting with bassist Greg Christian. Metal fretless bass pioneer Steve Di Giorgio will be returning to TESTAMENT. Steve previously was a member of TESTAMENT on The Gathering (1999) as well as First Strike Still Deadly (2001). He will be joining TESTAMENT on their upcoming shows in Australia on the Soundwave Festival, Japan and Mexico City. Steve will also be taking part in the new TESTAMENT album. We are looking forward to continuing the momentum you, the fans, have made possible.”

I saw them last year live and I thought Greg was the weak link, so I think this is a definitive improvement for the Testament machine.

Three of my favorite thrash bands back in the day were, Testament, Powermad and Wrathchild America. I think the biggest reason for those three were because the singers were aggressive, yet still melodic. When Chuck started getting more aggressive on vocals, I lost a little interest. I think a thrash band NEEDS aggressive vox, don't get me wrong, but once you lose the melodic quality, it isn't much different than death metal to me.

Bryant

When Chuck started getting more aggressive on vocals, I lost a little interest. I think a thrash band NEEDS aggressive vox, don't get me wrong, but once you lose the melodic quality, it isn't much different than death metal to me.

Bryant

I'm the number one growl/screech hater around. Still I felt in love with Testament with "Low", so as weird as can be I like Chuck getting harsh. Paradoxically at the same time, I don't like much "Formation of Damnation", but like a lot "Dark Roots Of The Earth". I think you should check it.

Three of my favorite thrash bands back in the day were, Testament, Powermad and Wrathchild America. I think the biggest reason for those three were because the singers were aggressive, yet still melodic. When Chuck started getting more aggressive on vocals, I lost a little interest. I think a thrash band NEEDS aggressive vox, don't get me wrong, but once you lose the melodic quality, it isn't much different than death metal to me.

Bryant

Powermad! Yes! ep was good....Absolute Power (Full length Album) was SO Freaking Awesome!! Yeah, there was good melodic singing in that band. Great riffs, solos.....remind me a little of '84-'86 era Metallica, a little Anthrax (vocally) early '90s Overkill riffing. Just a phenomenal band. The songs were so well written, balanced, musically, and vocally, neither taking away from the other in each song. Absolute Power -A top 10 all time thrash album!

Aw, first time I have hear this news :( Greg is part of the classic line-up, I don't like to see that falling apart even for a bass legend like Steve to come in. We met Greg after a gig in Glasgow and he was a fantastically nice individual too, he had loads of time for us.

Bryant

I pretty much agree with this!

Hey Joe, great to see you around. The people demands more Thrashist Regime \m/