Testing my Dual Rec through Impulses; Reason DK

BrettT

Aug 29, 2006
Austin, TX
This is my first time trying this, but I'm really digging the results, although it needs some work. Definitely came out darker than I expected due to the lack of the presence control. Next time I'll increase the treble a bit. I do like a slightly dark tone, though. Just a short, groovy riff idea.

Guitars: Schecter Blackjack with Bare Nuckle Miracle Man p'up> Digitech Bad Monkey>Mesa 3 ch DR>M-Audio FastTrack Pro>This One! impulse

Drums: Reason Drumkit 2.0 refill

Bass: Fender Deluxe 5 String Jazz>FastTrack>various plugins

Do you find the guitars a bit honkey sounding?

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7487077

Edit:
Here's another test with different impulse and different bass eq...think it's a bit less stuffy sounding:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7494731

this impulse is pretty good! definatly moving in the right direction!

i think it may be a little honky, but i'm fairly certain that could be removed with a tad eq'ing, no?

sounds good otherwise!
thanks,

Yeah, definitely sounds like a Traditional Cab impulse (which it is), which is to say good but wooly/stuffy - I can still hear the Dual Rec awesomeness coming through (2- or 3-channel?), just give another impulse a try IMO, either Poidaobi's Engl Higher Presence impulse or one of CatharsisStudios' on here (haven't tried 'em yet, but he knows what he's doing with a mic and he used an almighty Recto cab!)

It's a 3-channel. I definitely need to experiement with more impulses. They have such a drastic effect on the tone.

Updated first post with new mix test. Any critique on bass, drums, guitars, whatever would be great as I'm really trying to get a good base sound for a solo project I'm about to start working on.

I dig the second one, though it feels a bit too scooped to me, and the bass is too loud IMO - I like the sound of the drums, though I feel the kick and cymbals are too low; what'd you use for 'em? Oh, and the snare could use a bit more verb IMO

Haha, yeah, I admit I'm setting myself up for quite the potential disappointment with all my anticipation, but I'm pretty confident it'll deliver! (and if not, there's always my 2x12 which people seemed to like the tone of, much to my bewilderment :lol: )

Haha, yeah, I admit I'm setting myself up for quite the potential disappointment with all my anticipation, but I'm pretty confident it'll deliver! (and if not, there's always my 2x12 which people seemed to like the tone of, much to my bewilderment :lol: )

Very true that 2x12 did sound alot better!

Updated the 2nd mix with lower bass, more cymbals and bass drum, more snare verb, and a less scooped guitar tone.

Edit: Pulled off the limiter on the Master Bus as it was sucking too many dynamics and I suck at mastering.

Drums are Reason Drumkits 2.0 with a tweaked Jocke Skog rock kit.

sorry but they all sound like POD xt (x3 podfarm) to me.
Drumsound is very COOL

Like the bassdrum very much

Really? I can maybe hear that in the 1st 2 tests...especially the 2nd because of the harsh high end. But I think the one with Catharsis' impulse sounds much more realistic and open and doesn't have that fizziness that I associate with POD tones. Not to say it's perfect, but I think it's the best of the 3. Of course I could be totally wrong and all 3 sound like shit, but that's the whole point of this thread. Need more feedback, please!

This is my first time trying this, but I'm really digging the results, although it needs some work. Definitely came out darker than I expected due to the lack of the presence control. Next time I'll increase the treble a bit. I do like a slightly dark tone, though. Just a short, groovy riff idea.

Guitars: Schecter Blackjack with Bare Nuckle Miracle Man p'up> Digitech Bad Monkey>Mesa 3 ch DR>M-Audio FastTrack Pro>This One! impulse

Drums: Reason Drumkit 2.0 refill

Bass: Fender Deluxe 5 String Jazz>FastTrack>various plugins

Do you find the guitars a bit honkey sounding?

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7487077

Edit:
Here's another test with different impulse and different bass eq...think it's a bit less stuffy sounding:

Just wondering which dual rec did you use the original or second version??

Really? I can maybe hear that in the 1st 2 tests...especially the 2nd because of the harsh high end. But I think the one with Catharsis' impulse sounds much more realistic and open and doesn't have that fizziness that I associate with POD tones. Not to say it's perfect, but I think it's the best of the 3. Of course I could be totally wrong and all 3 sound like shit, but that's the whole point of this thread. Need more feedback, please!

Dont listen to that . In fact you are lacking highs. I wouldnt boost them though--scoop out around 300 to 500 and see if that helps

Most amp clips I hear around here, if high passed, sound like an ungody static mess in the upper spectrum. There is simply nothing musical up there but everyone seems to boost it not realizing the cymbals take care of that in the mix. In pro mixes you hear no such thing. So this idea that somthing sounds "Pod" in relation to the pure static clips that are praised is odd. The problem is people are so used to hearing it they think its normal