circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Texas is on Fire – Shine. Set. Repeat.
Crash Music Inc. – CMU61160 – October 18th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

Texas-CD-coverweb.jpg

Woah! Slow down guys! I’ll tell you what: I was looking forward to Shine. Set. Repeat., but I jumped the gun. For one, Texas is on Fire unveiled Take Your Sex Elsewhere Girl, I’m Trying to Dance EP back in February, inked a deal with Crash Music Inc. in April, and finished recording this record in July, which is scheduled to touch down…um, yesterday. Do you notice any problems with that timeline? Well, the concept of the revolving door comes to my mind; in other words, Crash Music were quick to unleash their new signing on the masses by crafting the product as quickly as possible. So, this excellent metalcore band hasn’t been given due treatment, and their fans shall suffer because of it.

Don’t take the aforementioned statements the wrong way, though; they aren’t indicative of the quality of Shine. Set. Repeat. Said album flourishes if we’re judging potential and talent alone, but once the microscopic lens is removed, the whole package is much more visible. While there are ten songs etched onto the disc, they only last about twenty-five minutes. I don’t believe that constitutes a full-fledged LP. Texas is on Fire also suffers at the hands of the inept production, which all but eliminates the double-bass from the mix. It’s far from being extinct, mind you, but it’s considerably weaker than it should be. Otherwise, the production values – thinly coated with mud – do suffice. I like the scratchy vocals juxtaposed with the low-end growls, and I also enjoy the quintet’s propensity for rhythmical shifts. If you’re inclined towards metalcore whatsoever, then Texas is on Fire will treat you right. However, with a sound that nods at countless other –core groups, these guys might not make the impression they were hoping for, especially if the album is judged in increments such as music, cover art, liner notes, etc. Speaking of cover art, Shine. Set. Repeat. borrows too liberally from Zao’s Zao – whether intentional or not I have no idea. The liner notes, in a similar vein, are noticeably tasteless because the lyrics are a jumbled mess, which is accentuated by the fact that they’re conjoined into paragraph form.

This is normally the time where I’d try to complete one of the following actions: A. apologize for my harshness, or B. claim that I wasn’t harsh in the first place. I choose B. While the music is great and is substantive evidence of oh-so-young talent, everything surrounding the core is much less resistant to criticism. I consider this record to be a minor disappointment, but I know Texas is on Fire will tear through the competition once given adequate preparation. If, however, I see another one of their so-called “full-lengths” on my desk in six months, though, then I’m going to Kill. Fucking. Everyone.

7.5/10

Official Texas is on Fire Website
Official Crash Music Inc. Website

this gets a 7.5 and the new Arsis only got an 8?????? Something is very very wrong

slyr said:
this gets a 7.5 and the new Arsis only got an 8?????? Something is very very wrong

Contrary to most reviewers, I actually like what these guys are doing here, and have hopes that they'll improve in the future. Also, as far as my scores are concerned, there's practically an ocean separating 7.5 and 8. ;) Thanks for reading and commenting, though! :cool: