That Snare, and kick... Radio/Modern?

==>Alb<==

Jul 27, 2009
Hey guys, it's been a lot of time I don't post here, hope you all are fine, I'm trying to discover the new layout of the forum and the color combination is more pleasing for my eyes :)
I'll tell you a thing:
during my day job I hear few rock song with that snare sound that I call it "modern" it remember me some Pendulum or the newer drum'n'bass stuff and I wonder if it's a standard slate sample (I don't have ssd and I don't wanna have it) or what
So... the question is how to achieve that snare sound from a normal recorded snare?
I hear lot of reverb, maybe few different reverbs gated
I embed two of the radio songs with That snare

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

also that mechanic kick I'd like to know something more about it

PS: if that argument is already in the forum please link me to the page, I don't know what to search :-D

I'm pretty sure both of these tracks were done by (Kevin?) Churko so these are probably custom samples (likely blended with the real thing and maybe a tiny bit of some edm one shot). But honestly getting these kinds of sounds out of Slate shouldn't be a challenge, Slate has plenty of low tuned snares like this. Add a edm snare sample into the blend too if you feel like it.

"EDM snare sample" thanks sander, didn't know the name of that thing, my electronic tastes are the old rave/techno/drum n bass stuff, prodigy, chemical brother and harcore/gabber thunderdome like.
Also understanding how is acting the reverb will be great

Trevoire I never listened to papa roach until they landed on the radio, I live in a little island in the mediterranen sea and we only have one pseudo-rock radio and I listen that kind of material only if I'm in a place where can't put real music, pantera or pink floyd albums for example, but sometimes those mainstream products have some interesting and useful things also for mad and dirty metalheads like us ahahahah :-D

Last edited:
IDK about how that snare was made, but if i wanted something similar i would use the old Phil Collins way:
Hard hit + HEAVY reverb + gate on the reverb tail.

you know, I thought the same thing, I have to try it, which reverb could be? plate? big room?

To get the sound as close as possible to your examples you have to hire Kevin Churko.
More realistic option would be looking up his interviews and things like that.

I did the second option :-D
the closest samples are the chango's ones but too mechanic if used 50/50 with the original snare sound
also trying the gated reverb and for now sounds a little bit weird

what about THIS snare

Sounds a lot like Slate (even if it's not), and it was super easy to create from Slate samples with some processing. Not a 100% emulation but quite close, with some tweaking you'll get there.

First no processing, then with.

Attachments

• SUH Snare.mp3
    471 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
very very nice man! thank you for the tip and the sample.
I'd like to avoid slate samples, it's so hard these days but i think that with the right moves we can accomplish a similar result using, and maybe crushing/sampling, the real kit we mic'ed.
I always make samples from the kits of the drummers I mic
what kind of processing did you added to the snare you posted?

Basic EQ and compression with some reverb, trying to match the low end and top end characters and decays.

What's your reverb-technique(s) or approach right now? It's definitely one of the steepest learning curves.
Try at least two reverbs. Most of the time I'll have a good plate and a drumroom with nice ERs. It's one of the few occasions where I'm using an IR-Reverb regularly. But nothing against a real room...
Also you'll wanna get really familiar with your pre-delay knob. Try some post EQ and compression or even saturation. And allways listen to the verb in the mix. (But I'm starting to sound like a wise-a...)

If you wanna avoid most of the Slate stuff, maybe just use the room-samples? A little NRG-Room goes a loooooooooong way.

I send my snare to an aux with a plate, I eq that reverb trying to cut the mud, the boomy parts and some high frequencies.
I send it also in another aux with a ambience like the altverb ams rmx and a little bit of eq

I send my snare to an aux with a plate, I eq that reverb trying to cut the mud, the boomy parts and some high frequencies.

Just some random ideas (in case you didn't use them already):
  • If you cut low and high frequencies, you might consider to also emphasize some fundamental (180 - 250) or the range around 500. Also a little boost in the "paper" presence range (around 2,5k - 5k) may help.
  • Bring down the stereo width of the plate and add in enough predelay to make space for the ERs of the room.
  • Saturate the plate and maybe use some aggressive compression before.
  • Sometimes this IR is just kickass: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15427036/eventide firecracker snare preset.wav
I send it also in another aux with a ambience like the altverb ams rmx and a little bit of eq

Did you try swapping the AMS RMX for a real room response? Preferably a dedicated studio room - Waves IR1 had some nice ones, if I remember correctly. But I hear a lot of good things about the Altiverb library. Also I'd really recommend to use a room sample via trigger.
If you got a parallel-compression bus for your kit, I'd try to send the room/ambience to that as well.

Have fun!

thank you so much man! I'll try soon your suggestions
I do the opposite, so hp lp and a big cut at 200, near 500 and near 1000/1500 :-D
lot of stereo width and 40 or 60ms of predelay
Now I search some room samples because I never used them

You can thank me later :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>