circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Amenta – Occasus
Listenable Records – July 27th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

amenta.jpg

Australia’s The Amenta play a blistering brand of industrial-tinged, blackened death metal. And, for trivia purposes, the song titles on Occasus are no more than one word each.

“Erebus” introduces us to the band’s overriding sound. Right out of the gate, aggression and ferocity saturate the sound waves, and it’s immediately noticeable that the band is immensely talented. The double-bass drumming is lightning fast, which unintentionally hints of triggers. Not really a fan of those. The riffs are above average; the growls, however, will never sway from the deep, guttural vox we’re used to hearing on average death metal platters (except for rare, distorted vocalizations). More change – vocally – would’ve been a neat inclusion. “Mictlan” is next, and also was the title of The Amenta’s first release (mini-CD). Tradition dictates most of this track’s course. “Zero” begins with an interesting montage between drums and industrial musings, but eventually drifts into Fear Factory’s rhythmical alley. Essentially, throw Fear Factory and Zyklon into a blender, and you’ll get The Amenta as the unoriginal-yet-not-too-shabby product. “Senium” functions mainly as an interlude, while “Nihil” falls afterwards. The latter does manage to break away from the structural formulas utilized on Occasus. In other words, “Nihil” shifts frequently and is rarely content to stay in one place for too long. “Geilt” is of no consequence, but “Sekem” musters a general “horror feel,” due in part to the keyboard wizardry. “Occasus,” like “Senium,” is a lull. “Ennea” and “Sangre” – though not brilliant – are enjoyable.

You probably know what I’m going to reiterate: The Amenta is a mildly entertaining band. Occasus is slightly above the mark. To recommend it, though, would be in direct opposition to my conscience.

7/10

Official The Amenta website
Official Listenable Records website

Yeah. I like how Demonoid printed a message in their liner notes stating that no samples or triggers were fucking used in the recording process. I wish I could quote it verbatim, but I don't have the booklet in front of me right now. That's the gist anyway. *shrug*