The audio world...why so male dominated?

DaveBlack

Apr 7, 2009
It seems like the only aspect of music that has a female population at all is song writing. Female bands are considered a novelty, almost a gimmick but I've never come across a big named female engineer/mixer or any for that matter. I wonder why?

the same applies for this forum as well. every seemingly female I've seen here have only been posting in the off-topic tavern section

Could just be a culture thing really, a "women aren't supposed to like twiddling knobs all day" mentality embedded in the way children are brought up or something. I've met a few in person though, so they do exist. I however haven't met one who'd be doing metal as the main thing.

I've always found it quite fascinating that even the most brutal bands in e.g. Japan might just as well include female members without it being anything out of the ordinary. This one guy I used to trade PM's with at an another forum had a brutal metal band in Tokyo, and they actually had two female drummers in a row. And they were ordinary working women, who would just put their Carcass shirts on after work and play blastbeats at over 200bpm and do metal gigs on weekends :lol:

Could just be a culture thing really, a "women aren't supposed to like twiddling knobs all day" mentality embedded in the way children are brought up or something.

p_316680.jpg

I dont really know, not a huge fan. I just read about her doing her latest album by her self, but have you seen her mixing room!? looks like a toy room :kickass:

Yea i guess its designed to be creative envioroment as well as a studio since its just for her personal use which is prolly a good idea tbh