The Beatles + double kicks?

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
Haha, so my brother was listening to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band the other day, and he pointed out to me a short little part where it sounds like The Beatles experimented with a little bit of double kick action. It's the song "Good Morning Good Morning" at about 2:07. Might this possibly be one of the earliest instances of double kick action, or does someone know of something earlier?

No matter what, I thought this was pretty amusing! :)

Did Ringo have it triggered up? Did it have that metal "click"? Was he sportin' Axis pedals during that time? I'm a have to look this song up now.

hahahaha thats awesome, I have that album, that DEFINITELY sounds like double-kick...there's no way Ringo is good enough to do that with one pedal...

do you know any Jazz drummers who did double kick around or before 1967, which is when Sgt. Peppers came out?

Yes I do:
louis_bellson.jpg

I was just about to post that. I remember seeing him in college Music Appreciation class. When we where going thru the jazz period, I was freakin' out like, "What the hell, thats old school." :headbang:

I mixed FOH for him a couple months back. He is in his mid-80's and was pretty frail but still killed the kit. Apparently he started using 2 kicks around 1939. Pretty crazy.

Anyway, it doesn't take anything away from the surprising appearance of double bass in SGT Pepper.

The oldest doble bass drum i´ve heard is from jethro tull, of course i know is not that old, i would like to hear some older stuff