BAND URL: http://www.thebelonging.co.uk

demo2.jpg

TRACKLISTING

1. Prelude
2. Setting the Scene
3. Desecration
4. Dreaming Darkness

REVIEW

THE BELONGING are a black metal band from the north of England. Formed back in 1998 they comprise of Richard Lester – guitar/vocal; Paul Zaborowski – guitar/vocal; Levi Tubman – bass and Col Butler – drums.

Dreaming Darkness is the band’s second demo (The Belonging demo was released in 2001.) Their sound can be described as early OPETH meets IMMORTAL. Their demo is a muddy gritty affair which actually amplifies the sensation of a live indoor performance. The guitars are heavily distorted even through the muddy medium and the vocals are just sensational - each singer takes their turn to personify their low vocal growls.

“Prelude” opens the demo with a calm like entrance, employing a softly played rhythm guitar going through the motions when, after a few beats, the guttural guitar breaks in announcing the band is here to kick some ass with “Setting the Scene.” This is an all-out assault on the ears with the low growls kicking the bollocks of the listener into submission. Two minutes into the track the pace slackens off for an instrumental interlude of guitars showing their rhythmic prowess, but they never drop the gauntlet and the listener is forced to pay even closer attention to the vocals that reappear after their momentary absence. “Desecration” with its smashing drums and high squealing guitar intro breaks into a maddening sense which infiltrates the minds of those that are within earshot. This is music for moshing - the thought of standing still to appreciate this would not bode well within a large moshing crowd. “Dreaming Darkness” is my absolute favourite as they take on board the previous aspects of the earlier tracks and blend them into this masterpiece, which could easily be mistaken as being a missing OPETH classic. The track is well structured and uses moments of single instruments playing alone before launching into a tirade of great musical harmonies that literally envelop the listener in bliss.

With only four tracks recorded and a running time of fifteen minutes my only cries are “You bastards, I want more!” This is an excellent demo and one that will definitely not disappoint those who enjoy listening to the next big thing.

England could very well be the next big hotbed of death/black metal talent.

Reviewer – Chief B
Rating – 9 / 10

I thought that's what this was! :loco:

Whoop, just read "early Opeth." I didn't like early Opeth when I loved that band (I still like them a'right though). Pass.