The best advice you can give a musician?

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
What is the best advice you could ever think of to give any musician? Besides practice, practice, practice, I'm mainly speaking of techniques and speed of advancement, although that depends with the person.

thrashmetal78 said:
What is the best advice you could ever think of to give any musician? Besides practice, practice, practice, I'm mainly speaking of techniques and speed of advancement, although that depends with the person.

It doesn't matter what your particular style of music you like, listen to the better musicians of all genres (you would be amazed at the fact John Denver is as good on acoustic guitar as he is an awful singer) and go to the bare basics to be a good musician. If you are a drummer........ play with a single bass, a snare, hi hat and a single crash as often as you play on a big set. If you are a guitarist, play on an acoustic unplugged as often as you play with your expensive gear. If you are a vocalist, sing shit you don't like with no mic and make it sound good. A bassist should learn how to use a pick and fingers equally well and should own an acoustic bass as well. A keyboardist should learn the piano and be profecient. Every musician (to include vocalist) should learn how to strum basic chords on an acoustic guitar.
Having said all of this, I am a metal-head. I wouldn't be here at Ultimate Metal if I weren't, but the truth is, only so many combinations of notes sound good together and they have bee ran through the ringer by metal bands. Listening to different styles of music can give one a different perspective on chord progressions etc.
As far as "getting back to basics" and using the minimalist theory, you aren't doing that to make things easier, but more complicated. I can make weird spaceship noises with my effect pedal, but not with an acoustic guitar. Also, while no one is going to confuse me with Dave Lombardo, I can pump some cool double bass on a double bass set. If I only have a single bass, snare, high-hat and crash, I have to get inventive to make cool shit.
How many guitarists here would want to challenge David Gilmour in a guitar duel ? I had the technical virtuosity of him after playing for about three years and after playing for about 18 years or so, and though I am technically profecient (though not great,) I would lay my axe down at his feet and not even think about challenging him. Gilmour is a great guitarist because he excels at the basics. The "basics" means nothing about scales, modes, appregios or techniques. It simply means that his selection of notes and his phrasing (the way he plays the notes) sounds good.
Once you can play the "right" notes and learn "how" to play those notes which includes any instrument including drums and vocals, then you can go to the more complexed stuff. I am not just talking about beginners either. I was an experienced guitarist who always played electric and hit a brick wall, then learned acoustic. Learning acoustic guitar was the biggest advancement I ever had on electric guitar.

Bryant

Write music from WITHIN and the rest will follow!
(Actually I'm not very good yet either so don't take my advice :D )

Learn to fricken relax... and always start slow. Dont rush to learn stuff. Practice scales like a robot while you watch TV or take a shit... what ever you want.

This is some solo styles I use which I listed on another forum a while ago

I usually find scalic runs in a suited a key and just Legato, arpegio and string skip. I've never really written any solos but I do get loads of chances to improvise over the top of peoples bands if Im ever just helping someone out or jamming with friends.

My favourite scale is the harmonic minor scale. Its evil sounding and works well with eastern sounding deathmetal... but It even works over blues pieces if you choose your notes right.

Here's E Harmonic Minor in runs of three:-

e-------------------------------------------------------------14-15-17-
b-------------------------------------------------13-16-17-------------
g-------------------------------------12-14-16-------------------------
d--------------------------13-14-16------------------------------------
a---------------12-14-15-----------------------------------------------
e---12-14-15-----------------------------------------------------------

Shred that bitch!

the notes on the D and B string are the notes that really give it a mystic and brutal sound.

The best thing I ever learnt for when it came to shreading out solos was to use my Little finger and learn to stretch it to add some insane pull off and graces during runs.

In the Pentatonic scale I always lay the Pinch's down hard on the notes Im playing on the G string, I find it is the easiest and coolest sounding string to pinch.

Also Pulling off to ---0--- on B or E (high) is an immense effect for folk metally and neo classical style mellodies.

A new solo technique Im learning is one that Im pretty sure herman does where you do a fast hammer on pull off combo with one hand and then you bar notes under the pull offs with the other... eg.

on E start going-

---5h7p0--5h7p0--5h7p0--5h7p0--5h7p0--5h7p0-

but with out picking the notes, just using the hammer ons and pulloffs to make a fast as fuck sound (sounds like glass breaking).

Then with your motionless right hand, fret a note beneath your left hand, e.g-

---5h7p1--5h7p1--5h7p1--5h7p1--5h7p1--5h7p1-

(the 1 is barred with your right hand if you still dont know what I mean.)

There's an endless amount of things you can do with that technique.

first i played acoustic guitar for 8 years and then i bought and learned about the electric one.. about the bends, the solos, the feedbacks..

advice? just learn to listen to everything you hear - may it be country, pop, electronica, jazz, radio buzzing sounds..

Adrian said:
Learn to read music.

Hear, here! :) This will enable you to play anything that is set in front of you, from Soul to Classical. Granted, you probably won't be able to play it at breakneck speed at first, but you'll be getting exactly what you're being asked to perform.

Splinterhead said:
1. it's the journey that counts - not the end result.
2. the metronome is your friend:cool:

I'll have to second Splinterhead's opinion...enjoy yourself, and DEFINITELY play with a metronome...the meter is all-knowing and powerful. (Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha)