the BEST OF HEAVY SWEDEN compilation: a yuletide gift for y'all

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
a large part of what i've been listening to lately is swedish 80's heavy metal, and on and off for some months i have been compiling this compilation of the best of the best from the large amount of demo tapes, 7" and LP records i have downloaded -- usually this stuff is "hard to find", to say the least, if you want actual records. i've done a lot of sorting out the in my opinion very best songs, so classic bands like axe witch and mercy aren't here because frankly, although they were important, i don't think they were good enough.

i thought you others here would possibly be interested in hearing what sweden had to offer in the 80's, in the realms of REAL TRUE METAL OF STEEL: mostly nwobhm-influenced trad/heavy/speed metal, back when it was still kind of new and exciting. most of these bands are really obscure but be assured of really high quality song writing all around.

the compilation is divided into two discs, where the first disc comprises songs from bands who got to release their own vinyl records, and the second is demo material from those who never "made it". sound quality varies a lot, but i think you'll manage. some of it comes from poor rips, and there's not much i can do about that as i only own two of these releases on actual vinyl. i have at least adjusted levels etc. to make sure it sounds fairly coherent. i personally feel the songs are as good on disc 2 as on disc 1.

so without further ado, then, i give you: BEST OF HEAVY SWEDEN: 28 songs of power and steel: swedish heavy metal 1980-1989:

disc 1:
1. hiroshima - soldier of the world
2. gotham city - gotham city
3. mindless sinner - live and die
4. wizzard - ninya warrior
5. sacrifice - street fighter
6. 220 volt - sauron
7. universe - weekend warrior
8. grave - screaming from the grave
9. scratch - metal breaker
10. atc - cut in ice
11. heavy load - run with the devil
12. maninnya blade - the barbarian
13. nattsvart - vargarna
14. zone zero - win or die

disc 2:
1. jonah quizz - dödsängeln
2. insane - games of the world
3. execute - one night stand
4. witch - still alive
5. rust - in your eyes
6. neptune - enemy
7. highlight - lost in the night
8. powerglide - beauty and the beast
9. tryckvåg - white wizard
10. ariel - ariel
11. iq zero - murderer
12. exalibur - night riding woman
13. onyx - ristat i sten
14. kjell peders - leave it to the blade

DOWNLOAD

fuck its not highlight, its landslide. i keep getting their band names mixed up. i will fix later

all you foreigners (non-swedes) need to listen to tryckvåg - white wizard at least twice!
it's a rocking, unlike most bands on here they even made some appearances outside of sweden, some charts in england or whatever

(it's kool because they never released a proper album)

Thanks you. I shall nod my head thoughtfully to this while sipping a caramel latte.

Erik, out of the bands on the first CD, whose album is the best? What should I check out first because I'm fucking loving it.

swizzle, i am glad you liked it. gotham city is our single best band, their album THE UNKNOWN is a great place to start in swed hm. most of these bands never got to release real LPs.