The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
The Black Dahlia Murder – Nocturnal
Metal Blade Recrods - 2007
By Adam McAuley

mainalbum.jpg

A rather abrasive and exciting type of melodic-death metal is on display here and this was somewhat surprising after what I remember of the other album by the band that I've heard, Unhallowed, which had a far greater hardcore flavor. Instead, the nearly frantic pace of the album reminds me somewhat of the quality approach that the band Epoch of Unlight are capable of with a rather speedy approach capably withheld throughout. The album has a way of feeling like harsh poetry that has the ability to make you bang your head vigorously.

The Black Dahlia Murder are quite passionate in their approach at building driving, razor-sharp riff melodies that are perhaps more compelling than much of what else you'll find within the melo-death genre. The pacing of the album is quite excitingly fast and consistently fun to listen, although there are no really huge standout moments by any means and there are no tracks that have a particular appeal. However, the growled vocals can be grating and a lack of very memorable moments doesn't make for a completely spectacular release unfortunately, so you'll have to settle for a very solid one. They have the ability to become more like a standard death metal band at times as well, so the lack of an identity can make them sort of an ambiguous listen as to the exact intended audience.

Regardleess, anyone looking for a fairly exciting platter of melodic-death metal should find a lot to like here and people that are already fans of the band should find a lot to like as well.

Official Metal Blade Records Website
Official Black Dahila Murder Band Website

While I can't say I like the band, this album is a hell of a lot more enjoyable than previous albums.

A friend is fanatical about this band. It's all he listens to.

While I think BDM stumbled on Miasma, Nocturnal is a good comeback. I'm not a huge fan of them, and especially of Trevor's vocals, but I've always considered them as fairly underrated. I guess they can be a bit deceiving to people who have never heard them who label them "metalcore". All in all I appreciate Nocturnal for what it is, and while Miasma fell short, Nocturnal is a worthy album compared to Unhallowed.

Honorable mention: great riffage on the title track.

I have really always been a BDM fan. I mean everyone has their own opinions but BDM's lyrical content blows my mind. They have such a sick message and story in almost every song. It really makes ts interesting to listen to. Then to have those solos and riffs that just mesmerize me. Nocturnal was a great album. I do agree they did disappoint me with Miasma. They still had a few good songs on that as well. All in all great band in my eyes.

Finally, this album gets reviewed so I can voice my opinions on how mind-blowing this release was. I first want to say that I think the multiple comments here that miasma was a "stumble" from unhallowed are ridiciulous. Miasma was amazing, both lyrically and musically, in that this band truly created a sonic mural of utter depravity. You couldn't help but listen to the music and feel like shit, yet feel so awesome at the same time whilst banging your head furiously.

Technically, this album is brilliant; and I think BDM is well on their way to being one of the best death metal bands in the world. I constantly catch a lot of heat with some of my metal compadres, as it seems to be the "in-thing" to hate BDM, but damn they are amazing. From start to finish, this album is pumelling and powerful, and oddly enough, almost poetic, and one of the best, if not the best, release of 2007.

Ehhh... I dont particularly like the band... in fact I despise them... but this is definately the best of what they've got so far.