The Business Of KISS Examined In Fox Business Report (Video)

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In the five-minute video report below, Wall Street Journal celebrity business reporter Lee Hawkins examines the success of KISS' merchandising for Fox Business News.KISS currently sits, alongside THE BEATLES, THE ROLLING STONES and AC/DC, as a merchandising music giant. Live Nation Merchandise oversees the band's merch and licensing business that includes: mugs, comic books, a fragrance, bingo games, motorcycle helmets, pool cues, dart boards, and mobile phone covers — nearly 300 products in all.In a 2010 interview with CelebrityAccess, KISS' manager Doc McGhee, who has handled the careers of BON JOVI, MÖTLEY CRÜE and GUNS N' ROSES throughout the years, was asked how important ow important merchandising is to KISS' overall revenue. "It is a very important part because it gives me a guide that KISS is coming to where I want them to come as part of pop culture," he said. "It has become an American kind of band. I have M&Ms because their face is on them. Just recently on (ABC-TV's) 'Dancing With The Stars', they had one of the dancers dressed up as KISS, dancing to 'Rock And Roll All Nite'. My goal has always been to bring them up in the pop culture of this year; where people like them as though they are like Doritos. They might not mean that musically, because they have never really had a hit. The biggest hit was 'Beth', which was #7 (on Billboard's Hot 100 in 1976)."

More...