the comedic genius of Live After Death!

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Prior to last week, I'd not seen Maiden's glorious LIVE AFTER DEATH for nearly 15 years...maybe longer.

And, although we've had the music all these years via the CD, the visual experience of "prime era" Maiden just hasn't existed in an easily accessible format (being that I scrapped my VCR about 6 years ago).

So when I sat down to finally view the DVD of this metal classic, I'd forgotten just how hilarious Maiden looked back in the day! Yes, the hair bands looked ridiculous, but Bruce's garb, and the Spinal Tap cliched spandex that the band wore that night, is beyond comprehension! Just hilarious....I nearly fell out of my chair watching the DVD. Why, exactly, did Bruce tuck the spandex inside of his knee-high athletic tube socks?!?!? Awesome!

My wife walked in while I was viewing this and the first thing she said was "My god, what the hell are they wearing?" And this is from someone who doesn't like rock and generally hates metal....typically, she critiques the music first...the look second. But this is a special case, I guess!

So, yes, the music and performance are all that matter at the end of the day, but the look is good for some laughs, and that's not a bad thing!!
:loco:
"Does anyone remember laughter?"

So, now Soundmaster is a fashion guru. Hah! Virtually everyone wore spandex in those days, especially the striped ones. I barely noticed myself, because I was jamming to the Iron Maiden music.

That said, the 80s fashion is worth a laugh because it's so recognizable for those of us who lived it. Headbands, leg-warmers, spandex, and big, feathered haircuts, just a few of the staples of the 80s...

So, now Soundmaster is a fashion guru. Hah! Virtually everyone wore spandex in those days, especially the striped ones. I barely noticed myself, because I was jamming to the Iron Maiden music.

That said, the 80s fashion is worth a laugh because it's so recognizable for those of us who lived it. Headbands, leg-warmers, spandex, and big, feathered haircuts, just a few of the staples of the 80s...

+1

:)

Its called placing events, people and fashion statements in their historical context.

Fair points, but Maiden looked sillier than most at the time (except for mid 80s Saxon, which is pure embarrassement)!:loco:

I still haven't actually watched the DVD past the intro menu, just had it playing in the background to listen to while I do other things. By the sound of things I don't think I'd want to either... I enjoy it too much to have it spoiled by scarring spandex images.

I'm a firm believer that every generation has their fashion embarrassments. 90% of people look back at what they wore in their teens and can't believe they looked like that. ** The 70's had the sideburns, bell bottoms, big sunglasses, etc. The 2000's have pants worn around knees, exposed underwear, etc. We (80's) had big hair, leg warmers, spandex, etc. Hey, I had the denim jacket with all the patches, and tried to have long hair (it didn't work for me, but I tried anyway).

Personally, I always liked Metallica's 80's fashion approach best: Black jeans and a t-shirt.

** By the way, the other 10% of those people still wear the same clothing and don't understand why people laugh at them :)

Steve in Philly

Personally, I always liked Metallica's 80's fashion approach best: Black jeans and a t-shirt.

** By the way, the other 10% of those people still wear the same clothing and don't understand why people laugh at them :)

Steve in Philly

Agree on both counts. Still I like to vent some of my leather when I go to a concert. I never had a denim vest with patches, I know people revere them but I simply don't like it.

Hmm... well, since I'm the minor here, I guess I'm yet to see this brilliant and comical concert. I believe that TSO is sending a copy of it to my parents and I, are you not?

FerretallicA: How long have you had that avatar? It's something I've seen before... *points down to banner*

Steve in Philly
Its how i spend most of my days dressed. Army pants are also good when you want a change from tight jeans.

I still wear my patches to shows, just don't wear it everyday on the street like I used to in the 80s.. now its like my sunday best:lol::headbang:

They look hilarious, especially steve...
but the funniest part was when they first come out on stage, Adrian prances up to the edge, then hunches and remains hunched for the rest of the concert.