the death of imagination

seriously though, the blanketing effect is in full effect. i had a bit of a discussion about it over breakfast yesterday (this is good communal ground between an old single guy and an old married guy) and as much as it sounds like a topic for UK crust circa 86 i think it is more true today than ever.

my friend cited pixar movies (he likes them a lot). that thousands of highly-skilled artist technicians pour over every molecule of those movies, by and large setting a "standard" for the global audience. hyper-criticism in first world nations seems to disallow any "lesser" art form from gaining prominence???

in the meantime, tens of thousands of talented folk can't establish an identity because hundreds of thousands are producing artwork of the same style and caliber. there are more artists than ever before???

what i'm saying is, if you aren't funded by disney you are shit in the world's eye, and by that i mean RED states AND BLUE states.

furthermore, due to the internet and video games and by and large, tv taking a real foothold in the late 60s early—mid 70s and pacing and marketing=uh oh

meanwhile every single one of your friends is in a band and the going notion is that because they are your friend the band and the music is great, and then other bands that sort of sound like your friends' bands are pretty good in themselves, and before long all bands sound equally droney and there you have it.

meanwhile you have a few louder and more articulate voices trumpeting a great author/wonderfully developed mind who more than likely functioned on the fringes of whatever society they skirted around and died in, and you seek these great works out, and due to the singularity of these heralds amongst a sea of sleepiness you begin to turn on them and everything they suggested in the first place. why?

an end result of this non-third world-wide lethargy is clutter. every other kid is releasing records/toys/books/flyers/posters/papers/paintings/sculptures/brand new decaying electronic effects 'equiptment'/gear/handmande thongs/JUNK and this has been worsening since, i'd say, 1991. where does all this shit go? who does it influence? what does this say/do about/for the heritage?

but i'm wondering if the cream is going to be very diluted.

more realistically, let's say that happens. new ways of looking at life arise.

what's to happen of all of this other stuff produced by people, compounded by the standard/branded stuff produced by junk corporations?

complex cultures built around oceans of patchwork ideas?

I think the cream is overpopulated but only becomes diluted if one tries to experience all possible bands/authors/artists/etc. of the moment rather than a select few, as in no more than one is able to fully absorb.

it comes in waves I think. it's harder today because of the internet - there's a lot more bullshit to wade through, but I think the cream axiom still holds true.

Well, for one thing this phenomena was going on well before 91, the difference being that it is now amplified to the nth degre only because of entertainment being the new religion. People worship artists of all genres and denomination for a lack of spiritual pursuit. Even the most obscure artists get to have their own cult.

If you look closely at all the bands that recorded during the Elvis' fifties and the British Invasion that did not so much as register a blip on the radar it is amazing. Find the scrap-yard-second-hand record store in your town (there is always one, usually closes after a month of operation) and you will be able to find the most amazing amount of music that was forgotten before it ever was recorded.

The main difference that I see is that nowadays, marginality is more hip and it is way cooler for some kids to say that he likes obscure artist than the flavour of the month. And the Net has helped the avalability of such work.

I don't actually agree with the cream rising to the top idiom, usually its more that the cream is not as easily forgotten. As example I could say that Soft Machine were as, if not more, influencial than Pink Floyd and yet never rose to the top but will always be recognized as a driving force of the psychedelic movement and later Fusion.