The Death of the Guitar Solo

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Anyone else notice how little one hears a guitar solo anymore? The more popular the metal band, the even more infrequent the solo- hell Zach didnt have too many solos on the last Ozzy record.

Testament is another example, since Low, Testament uses far fewer, sometimes no solos per song. I know this is maybe because of the loss of Alex. Yet I have to say I love Testament since Low, and the heaviness- and lack of solos is a big reason.

How does everyone feel about this? I know I was tired of solos, and the many guitarists who used the solo to boost their ego. Especially just friends that never hit it big- I have to say I am glad not to hear their latest attempt at being Marty Friedman, or Ynqwie etc.

Well i'm not affected by this. The bands I listen are usually big solo bands, but I really hate when bands eliminate the solos.

If a band doesn't have a solo every song, I'm automatically suspicious of what sort of talent they possess. Solos are the heart of metal, riffs are the body. And the body cannot function without the heart...

Solos will never die. They are outta style right now, but some day they will return. There are plenty of bands today who do huge, great solos anyway. Unforunately Testament aren't one of them anymore... it was incredibly disappointing when I discovered that, and I haven't been able to respect them as much since.

I am a guitar player, and I truely love a great solo. However, I don't feel it's absolutely necessary in every single song on a record. It has to flow with the song. Sometimes bands just throw in a guitar solo just to "meet the requirment" and it doesn't sound right. That's one of the reasons "The Gathering" was so cool , it was POWERFUL , yet still had some cool little solos and trademark Eric Peterson mellodies / fills. I kinda miss them too but I understand that they don't HAVE to be in every song to be a good metal tune.

I love a good solo ... but nowadays i prefer good music without solos than bad music with incredible solos ... i dont think music should be judged by its solos ... they are just a complement ... when i was more young i didnt thought this way ... i loved shred and speedy solos ... but music is a lot more than that wanky wanky stuff

Originally posted by inflamer
when i was more young i didnt thought this way ... i loved shred and speedy solos ... but music is a lot more than that wanky wanky stuff

What about the Solos that rely more on feel than sheer speed? First Strike Is Deadly's solo comes to mind(particularly the redone one). sure some of that solo is speed, but so much of it is just mood. Killer shit. I think solos should take you on somewhat of a journey. A few solos stand out that do just that.

Trapped in a Corner - Death
Fade to Black and The Unforgiven - Tallica(R.I.P.)
Tornado of Souls - Megadeth
For the Love of God - Steve Vai

And TONS more, I just thought i'd mention a few.

Keep the Leads/Solos in METAL! DEFINITELY!

Originally posted by Stun
Solos are the heart of metal, riffs are the body. And the body cannot function without the heart...

I really like the way that was put...
There is nothing I like more than a good guitar solo to go along with great lyrics in a song, but I don't think every song needs one to be great, sometimes it can be a problem in a song.
I don't think they will ever die completely, as long as there are metal heads that are willing to play them:)

I really like emotional solos instead of the fast flashy ones ... even when they are short ... a well thought 5 second emotional solo beats a 2 min shred one in my opinion (of course there are exceptions) ... if i go to my memory from 5 years back i can only remember beautifull solos and just a few shred ones ... some shred impresses me ... but after awile it becames boring ... the exact oposite happens with slow emotional solos (IMO)

But everyone's definition of an emotional solo is different...

Imo the best bands have fast, medium, and slow solos, as well as unique riffs (and melodies are a bonus). So I only listen to bands that fulfill these criteria. Why settle for anything less?

Inflamer, fast songs generally have fast solos, what's wrong with that? I mean, when In Flames's has a fast song that builds up and up and then... just stops (or does a generic "solo" that's like ten or so notes long) and bullshit clean "singing" starts, I think that's fucking stupid... do you actually think that's cooler-sounding than, lets say, a thirty second solo that's unique and has faster and slower parts?

And BtUG said that solos should take you on a journey... yeah! I agree completely. As long as it matches the feel of the song, or represents the story of the lyrics... solos will -always- tell stories better than words, at least in bands with really talented guitarists.

Originally Posted By HiddenLegions:"......and I truely love a great solo. However, I don't feel it's absolutely necessary in every single song on a record. It has to flow with the song. Sometimes bands just throw in a guitar solo just to "meet the requirment" and it doesn't sound right. That's one of the reasons "The Gathering" was so cool , it was POWERFUL , yet still had some cool little solos and trademark Eric Peterson mellodies / fills. I kinda miss them too but I understand that they don't HAVE to be in every song to be a good metal tune."

Very well said............I agree!.....................

I agree with Stun- many bands that do not employ solos- say your Disturbed's etc seem not to have the talent even to play a decent solo. Yet, too many bands overdid the solos and still overdo the solos. One big problem I have with those bands that employ alot of solos, is the fact that they used solos in the wrong places, or used a song just to show off a solo- instead of writing more interesting song strucutres- or even better songs, many bands just threw in solos and their techinical skill to make up for their weakness in songwriting. Of course I am generalizing here, some bands could write a killer song, and have killer solos- Death, Megadeth come to mind off the top of my head.

Well I'm a former drummer- i recently sold my set, so I guess I just am glad so many bands are focusing on the riffs and percussion for once. As for guitar playing, I always thought great rhythm guitarists added much more to a band and song writing than great soloists- Mustaine, Hetfield, and that thorendal guy from Meshuggah are good examples to me.

Oh Slayer, there is a band with great riffs and awful solos- yet they added to the frenzied energy of the music. So slayers solos complemented the music.