The definitive TOOL thread

What is your favourite Tool album?

• Total voters

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Let's talk about Tool. What does everyone think of them? I consider them one of the most innovative and ground-breaking bands of the 90's and a huge inspiration on a million acts, including prog gods Dream Theater and even Opeth (particularly on Ghost Reveries).

Singer Maynard Keenan has got to be among the most creative ever, and his lyrics are amazing too. Drummer Danny Carey, on the other hand, is incredible. His tone, phrasing and unique understanding of rhythm floors me. So much restraint yet so much creativity (he's a bit like Lopez to me) is rare on many albums.

I like all of their work, but have been spinning Undertow a lot as of late. What a great piece of work. The album is perhaps a bit heavier than their recent releases, but in no way amateur-ish. I actually happen to know quite some people who like Opiate and Undertow best.

What's your favourite Tool disc?

Also, who are this band's influences? What vocalists have impacted Keenans's style and writing? What about Carey? Last but not least, Tool's guitar player is incredible too. His playing exudes atmosphere with each noted; maintaining a beautiful flow to it through and through.

Yes, what are your thoughts?

I havent head Tool much, so my opinion issnt as credible as others but I think Tool is a little over rated, and I can't hear Tool at all in Opeth's music.

But if you can prove me wrong please do so.

imo tool is boring, dragging music, with the occasional good section, but mostly pointless filler.

Hahahah ba dom tishhh

Why wont Axe do that when Mikael cracks jokes?

One really bad thing about Tool is those obsessed fans it spawned. The ones who say vinyard is a modern day socrates and beleive they are the pinnicle of music

imo

i was gonna buy a ticket for NY, but imo it was too expensive, and i didn't feel like it was worth drivin there, even though i've always really wanted to see Tool in concert. I'm not into concerts as much as I was, tbh.