The Eagles in Atlanta...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Jen & I caught The Eagles this past Friday. They continue to be flawless live and sound amazing. The only difference is that they are starting to get up there a bit in age with Don looking like he ate a small cow and Joe Walsh playing without his dentures. Compared to the dead serious tone of the previous "Long Road Out of Eden" show (they were all in suits), they were relaxed and having a good time on stage (except for Don..he never has a good time...anywhere....ever).

Setlist:

The Seven Bridges Road
How Long
Take It to the Limit
Hotel California
Peaceful, Easy Feeling
I Can't Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Walk Away (James Gang cover)
The Boys of Summer (Don Henley)
In the City
The Long Run
Life's Been Good (Joe Walsh)
Dirty Laundry ( Don Henley)
Funk #49 (James Gang cover..HELL YES!)
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fastlane

Encore:
Take It Easy
Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh)
Desperado

I'm curious about a performance like this. Is it all about how well they can reproduce the sound on the disc, is it more about the ways they tweak the original, the crowd energy, or all three?

It's a combination of #1 and #2. First, about how the reproduce those amazing vocal harmonies flawlessly. Second, it's about just how great those songs truly are. Finally, it's about Joe Walsh jamming the fuck out of his guitar.

I had to chuckle at the crowd energy bit. The old folks at the shows are are even more laid back than the actual songs themselves. Even the cougars are retired.

I love the Eagles and they still sound great in concert, but they are not the same without Don Felder IMO. Felder and Walsh had that chemistry being able to play off each other and compliment the other guys style.

It's a combination of #1 and #2. First, about how the reproduce those amazing vocal harmonies flawlessly. Second, it's about just how great those songs truly are. Finally, it's about Joe Walsh jamming the fuck out of his guitar.
Cool. I've more less lost interest in these venue performances, because they lack the intensity I've come to look for in a live performance. However, the idea of just kicking back and listening to a live music, the way I might with Jazz, is still of interest.

Even the cougars are retired.
LMAO.

What a great set list, they could have probably double that and still not played a bad song IMO. I see Joe Walsh has a new CD coming out. I'm hoping he does a solo tour, I'm love to see him doing his own music almost as much as the Eagles.

Helluva set list. Would have liked to have caught them, but their tour schedule now lists only solo dates. Guess I missed it.

so they did play one?

Nope. If they did, half the venue would have been in line at restroom or beerstand. The other half would have been pissed because those lines were so long and they were stuck in their seats with Miami Vice music.

Glenn Frey solo tunes =

epic-fail-photos-fail-nation-squirrel-fail.gif

Com'on now. Why all the Glenn Frey hate? He had a few solid solo tunes. Although I agree Smugglers Blues is not his best work.

You are right. "You Belong to the City" is indeed a great song and I would have loved to have heard it.

"The Heat is On" keeps the suck factor on high alert though.

You are right. "You Belong to the City" is indeed a great song and I would have loved to have heard it.

"The Heat is On" keeps the suck factor on high alert though.

what's your feelings on "The One You Love", Glenn?

Given the general "tone" of this conversation thus far, I hesitate to ask this question. But have any of you actually heard Frey's new solo disc 'After Hours'? It's pretty decent imo. Not jaw dropping. But very solid. It's a disc of covers - jazz standards and modern pop tunes. But he gives 'em all an Eagles flavor.

If you'd like to check it out, you can Google "Glenn Frey After Hours flac" **ahem** I mean listen to samples at Amazon.

P.S. The eight Eagles shows I've been to were all flawless performances and a real tribute to the level of musicianship in the band. And I have to agree with jem777az - not quite the same without Felder. There's just something subtly unique about the chemistry of the original band imo that has never been equaled by other lineups. Some bands actually improve when certain key members leave...take Dream Theater for example (/me ducks incoming). But The Eagles are just a wee bit diminished without Felder.

My wife loves The Eagles, so we caught them a couple of years ago in Raleigh, NC. They were really quite good. I particularly liked Joe doing a couple of James Gang songs. The James Gang is one of those greatly under appreciated gems. Long live The Bomber!

Last edited by a moderator: