The Fall Through Ginnungagap

roguelikedev

New Metal Member
Aug 20, 2010
Can anyone point me at a reference describing Amon Amarth's depiction of Ginnungagap as a purgatory-style afterlife leading to eventual rebirth? I'm looking for pre-Christianity skald tales, IE Snorri Sturluson's Prose Edda etc. The Wikipedia page essentially says "Ginnungagap means 'yawning abyss'. Please expand this article."

You could check out this video for starters:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIwvYuL2PMA&p=DDDBD9C11189A37D&playnext=1&index=1[/ame]

Thanks for the link, I've been listening to it at work. However, it contains mostly information I already know regarding Ginnungagap; I was asking if there is any specific basis in Norse mythology regarding the lyrics of the song describing Ginnungagap as a kind of Christianesque purgatory. In particular:

Infinite dark - Through this void I float
Resting, waiting for the day
When I will live again

Thanks for the link, I've been listening to it at work. However, it contains mostly information I already know regarding Ginnungagap; I was asking if there is any specific basis in Norse mythology regarding the lyrics of the song describing Ginnungagap as a kind of Christianesque purgatory. In particular:

no