The father of the brazilian jiu jitsu is dead

Vitor

Unconventional [Listener]
Mar 21, 2007
Rio de Janeiro, BR
pt-br.facebook.com
helio20gracie222.jpg

Helio Gracie, the father of Gracie jiu-jitsu, is dead at the age of 95. Gracie passed in his sleep early Thursday in Itaipaiva, Rio de Janeiro, after he had been admitted to a local hospital a few days prior for stomach problems.

“He passed the way he always wanted to –- quick and fast,” said an immediate relative, who asked not to be identified. The relative said Gracie’s body would be buried on Thursday.

The youngest of Cesalina and Gastao Gracie’s eight children, he learned traditional jiu-jitsu by watching his brother, Carlos, teach it, but his small frame made it difficult for him to execute the moves. As a result, he adapted techniques to fit his limited physical ability and gave rise to modern-day Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Gracie was involved in two legendary fights. He lost to Masahiko Kimura -- a man who outweighed him by some 40 pounds -- in 1951 when Carlos threw in the towel after Kimura broke Gracie’s arm with the shoulder lock that now bears his name. Four years later, Gracie fought former student Valdemar Santana for nearly four hours before losing.

His impact on the sport of mixed martial arts was profound. His son, Rorion, was credited with developing the concept that became the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and another of his sons, Royce, won the first two UFC tournaments in 1993 and 1994. Two other sons, Rickson and Royler, also competed in MMA.

Gracie is survived by his wife Vera; his sons Rickson, Royler, Rolker, Royce, Relson, Robin and Rorion; his daughters Rerika and Ricci, as well as numerous siblings, nieces, nephews, and grandchildren.

Well since he was the guy who created it, his fighting experiences probably helped him perfect the style later on, explaining why his sons were more successful than he was using the style.

Hi everybody, my name is Carl Ashton and I have been a professional martial instructor for 6 years. I noticed that a lot of parents have many concerns before bringing their kids to a martial art/karate class. I am trying very hard to put together a report to address any issues or questions that parents have about getting there kids involved in martial arts. If you would like to help me, please fill out this one question survey http://tinyurl.com/karate4kids . I would be very grateful for your help. Thank you!!

Well Carl (may I call you Carl?), let me begin by saying "Welcome!"
Ultimate Metal has a very large and diverse community, and as one of the more machismo posters, and three time heavy weight hapkido/shinobi no jutsu champion, I would like to welcome you to our healthy forum. I went to the link you provided, and felt that my commentary could help you in your future endeavors.

First things first, you failed to mention anything about fighting music. Everyone knows that when a fight occurs, music seems to miraculously appears from the trees and air itself - this is important as the more bad ass the fighters, the better the music. The music is also important because it helps those fighting gauge the speed of the fight. There are no such things as two-minute men in the realm of combat. Face-crushers like myself typically last about four hours with a worthy opponent, and since we expel energy quite fast during these marathons of manliness, we need a way to conserve said energy till our opponent falters in his technique - we do this through music.

Music however changes depending on the mood of the fight. Fast aggressive fights usually contain gravity blasts, and very fast guitar riffing. Monstrously destructive fights have thick chuggy riffing that typically feels like it can spiral out of control at any minute. When slap fests occur in flowerbeds, usually there is some sort generic guitars backing an orchestra of some sort (and for the oddest reason, your pants become tighter).

I suggest creating an option that compares the musical tastes of the children, and then training them in a martial arts style that compliments their tastes.

If you have any questions, or would like to discuss this any further, please feel free to post in this thread again. Take care Carl, and please have a good day :)