The Gathering

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
..*sigh*

So I'm doing what I shouldn't, looking at old clips on Youtube.

The stuff from Dynamo on there.

I haven't listened to them in awhile... but damn... they used to be so amazing.

Mandylion... Nighttime Birds... just awesome. (and Always wasn't so bad either, it's a shame it gets overlooked, but ya know, it's not like these guys never got their due, heh)

*sigh*

Such a shame...

Still a great band IMO, just not a Metal band anymore. What should they have done? Made the same album over and over again? Musical development is a good thing. All the rest is a matter of taste.

I agree with the Bastard here, and Souvenirs is good for what it is, and not for "a band that used to be this and that". There is no point in repeating Mandylion and Nighttime Birds. I don't know the new one yet, though.

That's what makes it all the more painful. It's pretty clear to me that they like what they are doing... But I really could never get into How To Measure a Planet, let alone anything coming after. And no band I've heard attempting anything resembling a Mandylion style comes anywhere near hitting the mark.

So I watch these clips and think that there is a void not being filled... because there was more that could be done within the style.

*sigh*

*sigh*

Jim LotFP said:
because there was more that could be done within the style.
But they did! They did more within their style. It's not that their music has changed radically overnight.

This is all the more proof that Heavy Metal is not surrounded by borders but by lots of grey area where genre borders become blurry.

Jim, I'm surprised you didn't/don't like Souvenirs. You have an open mind (for the most part), and from what I can gather you enjoy "out of the box" music. I still think Souvenirs is one of the best albums to ever be recorded - be it metal, rock, pop, or whatever.

Been working the road and doing the hotel thing up here in New England, so I'm way outta the loop when it comes to new music (94.1, out of Providence, RI, has Sat night metal and Sun has House of Hair, so I'm not totally oblivious, but damn well near it.) But I did bring Souvenirs with me, and it's gotten me out of many a boring hotel nights; though I do miss not having the DVD around.

-Cam (lost on the road in New England, and places beyond)