the Genre of Opeth..

theDarkLord

I lay naked in the rain..
Jun 11, 2001
Istanbul, Turkey..
Well, what is the genre of Opeth.. Asked many times, answered many times, but never reached a point..

I myself can say something like, Progressive Melodic Death Metal..

Originally posted by theDarkLord
I myself can say something like, Progressive Melodic Death Metal..

yea, me too, PMDM all the way... "emotional metal" is descriptive but it doesn't describe the progressiveness, the melodic-ness, or the contrasting death-ness. Besides, all metal should be emotional, kinda goes without say me thinks.

buzzed on caffiene,

Evil Satori

Good call Hoser.
I think it's lame to come out with too many genres of music though.
Bacically, when it comes down to it, there are 3 main genres, and they are as follows...

1. Shit genre
2. Good genre
3. Outstanding genre.
Obviously, we all know where Opeth falls in all of this.
Then, if you want to get really technical, there's the "ok" genre and the Unbelieveably shity genre. :cool: :)

Originally posted by Windom Pearl
I also think there are three genres :) :

1. Utter shit
2. Incredible shit
3. Shit

The genre 3 includes just three bands: Mr Bungle, Faith No More and Opeth.

FNM, Mr. Bungle!!!! Mike Patton(sp?) kills!!!

I would like to include Iron Maiden and Blaze in the same category of excellent bands.

I always refer to them as dark progressive metal. Dark because they don't fit what is commonly thought as "death" metal, yet their music definitely has a dark aura. Progressive because they explore regions in music which have seldomly been done or they take a style and expand it into different areas. Metal because, well, you know why. This description seems to work for most people I try to describe Opeth to. Really though, you'll never be able to categorize Opeth. The only way to understand what Opeth is is to listen to Opeth.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

Melodic Death Metal. Someone else said dark. It's definitely that! But I read an Interview also from LotFP and the man himself prefers calling it Extreme Progressive Metal.

Humor me. Does anyone have any good suggestions. I'm spelling Opeth down, and I need a word to leg off each letter to make a phrase/saying or just discriptive words. I know there's a word for them, but ?! Like:

Outstanding
Progressive
Extreme
Tormented
Heavenly

Only better! Anyone?

LYNN