The Importance of Tracking Well (examples inside)

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
For the last week a mix I've been working on has been absolutely slaughtering my will to live. I've been beating myself up, going round and round in circles, as I'm sure many here do from time to time when invested in a project.

So here I was in the midst of doing my best to get this project to sound as top-tier as possible, when it all suddenly broke and I was hit with yet another revelation. It wasn't possible to get the project to where I wanted it to be. Why? The source tones to two of the most important elements of the mix were botched. No matter how much EQ or processing was getting applied to them, they were not ever going to sound good.

In that spirit i want you to listen to an audio file I have here. It contains the bass guitar DI track to the aforementioned project, followed by two bass guitar DI tracks I recorded here, played by two different performers, through two different basses. I want you to listen for yourselves and understand the weight and importance of the starting point of your mix.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/bassDI-comparison.wav

The first run of bass is obviously extremely muddy, boomy and otherwise indistinct due to lacking high-end. No matter how much processing is applied to this tone, it will *always* fall short. The 2nd tone was from a project that resulted in the best bass tone I ever got, which you can hear in near-final form here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Compressor Shoot-out/bass-6.mp3 . The 3rd tone is from a project that's currently being tracked and you should be able to hear sometime later this year. 2nd bass tone was a cheap BC Rich bass, and the 3rd was a Spector. Both running into a Millennia Origin, with the Spector also running into a Countryman Type85 prior to the Millennia. Keep in mind we're only talking about DIs here, something that subconsciously one might think is impossible to botch. Now add the near infinite varieties of mic placements when recording vocals, guitar, drums etc. and you have yourself a world of complexity, and a world of possibilities to make something sound bad from the very start.

Unless you can just pull the faders up and already hear where the project wants to go, you're just pushing it all uphill. The 'make or break' point is at the very start, when you first hear those tracks and truly understand where the potential of the project lies.

So with my mind eased a bit, and hopefully with your own impressions somewhat broadened, I'm gonna go lie down and prepare to start the whole frustrating procedure once again tomorrow.

So if i understand corectly, in the first file is the BC rich through Millenia and in the second file is the Spector that went through Countryman 85?

Sorry for that... i'm a little confused! :)

In the bassdi-comparison.wav file there are 3 different basses. The first one is from the project I'm currently mixing, the 2nd one is the Bc Rich Nj Beast and the 3rd is the Spector.

The bass-6.mp3 is just showcasing the BC Rich from the bassdi-comparison.wav as more of a finished product.

I will agree with everything you said Ermz, and also this is something that seperates the true engineers here (like yourself) from the hobbyists, where you guys will have a much better idea of what something wants to sound like on the way in than a noob will, and hence this is one of many reasons your stuff sounds better than ours :)

Joe

Fortunately the bass player in this case is very understanding, so we've talked it over and he'll be providing tracks closer to my specs next time. Just sucks that we're stranded with these for the time being. They are a serious nightmare to get sitting!

@Sickan: OHs are real, toms, snare and room are SD2.0 stock Avatar library. It's still my fave sample library out of all. If only the subsequent expansions were of the same quality.

Thanks for this Erm, now I feel better to see I'm not crazy to spend lot of time to adjust instrument itself before tracking, especially with bass guitar for try to capture great tone.
Sound boring or stupid for someones but it's fundament imo.

This is my problem with every single band I record. I charge dirt cheap for songs, so I get terrible performers. I'm convinced my stuff would sound 100% better if I were to get decent performances, however, my hard drive is inundated with 1st take guitar tracks (that they insist was perfectly played. They don't want to spend numerous days tracking. They want to get 5 songs done in one day with every instrument.) played out of tune, half assed, and generally sloppily. Nothing pisses me of more when I hear something terrible and the band doesn't, and BITCH when I call them and try to get them to come in again and retrack the parts.

Just last week, I recorded a band the second time because they INSISTED on using their cheap piece of shit Epiphones when my Gibson was strung and tuned, ready to go. Not only were their guitars possibly the cheapest epi's you could get, but their incredibly inexperienced so they played their parts like little fucking girls. None of them dug into the strings, the solos were a sloppy jumbled improvisation of notes. He just hit as many notes as he could. I'm not even exaggerating.

/rant

Sometimes, you have to take a step back, and realize it's not your fault.

@Cloy26 - I feel your pain, oh do I ever. I can deal with everything else noobs throw at me, but as soon as shit like that happens I have to leave the room and count to 50 instead of going on a drop kicking spree.

This is a good thread, too many people ignore how essential a good source bass tone/DI for any instrument is.

How was that first clip recorded?

To me it sounds like both the Spector and BC Rich have relatively new strings on them, whereas the first clip sounds like old, dead strings with the tone knob on the bass rolled off.

To me it sounds like both the Spector and BC Rich have relatively new strings on them, whereas the first clip sounds like old, dead strings with the tone knob on the bass rolled off.

same here...
why not doing the bass again for that songs? or making him record that DI's again?