The Kids are Alright

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
They're showing this 'rockumentary' on the IFC tv channel these days.....wow, I forgot how much BETTER The Who are playing live than all their studio stuff. Of course, 80% of it is improvized too. Every band member was great in their own right.

Great, great live band. (Post-Mod era of course, although Quadrophenia rules).

Have you seen that Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus thingy? It's on DVD now and the performances by Jethro Tull and especially The Who are just mind bending. I've always been on the fence with The Who but after seeing this I quickly bought my first album by them.

I haven't seen that DVD. The thing about The Who is that everyone remembers them for songs like "My Generation". Man, that is like knowing Sabbath for "Iron Man" - there is a ton of classic rock there. The cool thing is, like Zeppelin, these guys just played off each other like there was no tomorrow. Keith Moon for fuck's sakes...makes John Bonham look like the duracell drum bunny!

i think my dad might have some The Who vinyl stashed away. he has a farly large vinyl collection of old 60's and 70's rock.

JayKeeley said:
Keith Moon for fuck's sakes...makes John Bonham look like the duracell drum bunny!
Not really, but I know what you mean. :D Bonham is Top 5 drummer material, Moon is Top 25.

But yeah, rent that DVD or something, it's quite amazing. Features the only performance of Dirty Mac, a band consisting of John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Mitch Mitchell, and Keith Richards. Too bad Yoko fucking kills it with her cat wails.

One Inch Man said:
Have you seen that Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus thingy? It's on DVD now and the performances by Jethro Tull and especially The Who are just mind bending. I've always been on the fence with The Who but after seeing this I quickly bought my first album by them.
That concert went unreleased for years because the Stones felt they were upstaged...as for Moon and Bonham, I'd still rank them below technicians like Bruford and Peart, but for foundation rattling force they're basically unmatched.

Peart = WiNnAr!!!!!

Neil-Peart.jpg

IF you only own one Who CD, make it Live at Leeds. Perhaps the greatest live album ever.

This truly is magnificent. Any fan of music should appreciate this work of magic. lizard knew the score. RIP my broseph.

Pete Townsend is a complete nutjob on this album by the way, which makes him so damn genius-eriffic.

Anyone paying strict attention to the aforementioned Rolling Stones' "Rock and Roll Circus" will also note who is playing guitar for Jethro Tull, one Tony Iommi. My friend had me watch it (big Tull and Who fan) and I was flabbergasted seeing Iommi playing Guitar in Tull. Such an excellent DVD.

Holy shit I didn't even know that. I was distracted by Ian Anderson's bigfro apparently.

About the same length of time that Lennon/Richards/Clapton band later on in the DVD lasted, cool.

Dirty Mac, christ. Had to look it up.

i think my dad might have some The Who vinyl stashed away. he has a farly large vinyl collection of old 60's and 70's rock.

I have Tommy and Who's Next on vinyl.

This thread has made me want to spend the rest of my night listening to Jethro Tull.

Edit: even though it's about The Who.

Can't beat the mighty Tull!!

Except Yes is better by a little bit