The Legion - Revocation

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
The Legion - Revocation
Listenable Records - posh078 - 2006
By Brandon Strader

TheLegion-Revocation.jpg

Entering with the uninspired force of a hamster trying to break through a plastic wall comes The Legion with their new release - and sophmore album - Revocation. In other words, the introduction is very boring and slow, repeating the same disharmonic chord for a long time accompanied by some toms and cymbal crashes... Until finally this hamster breaks through that damn plastic wall and brings chaos down upon those who are within reach. Which would be just me, since the arms of a hamster are very short. After this chaos is thrown forth, yet another blast is shot your way. I hope you're wearing a bullet-proof vest, but not even that can save you from the onslaught! And that's all just within the first couple minutes of Revocation!

The sound is like a mixture between black metal, and technical death metal. Needless to say, the excitement level is fantastic... It's great to see The Legion also has a pretty wide avant-garde side, and aren't afraid to experiment a bit. The guitars range from some great minor-scale tremolo to disharmonic black metal chord bursts, and beyond.... It's like classic meets modern, and they do it oh-so-good! The vocals are extremely well-performed and fit the music perfectly, helping to add to the memorable black metal experience you'll get here. Fans of black metal will not be dissapointed with Revocation, as it treads on familiar and fresh ground continuing in the footsteps of such groups as Naglfar...

The production is top-notch, and Revocation has all the punch it needs to kick everyone's butt. It's got skillful guitar work, audible bass - which is always good, especially in black metal - technical percussion and great tom fills, which is something that should be done more and it works great here. I take it back - The Legion is not a hamster, they are a radioactive monster gerbil or something, and the butts they kick are ours. Highly recommended!

9/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official The Legion Website
Official Listenable Records Website