Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
The Locust – 10/04/2003 - The Garage, London
Support from Ephel Duath and Beecher
By Russell Garwood

Bank holiday Friday, and London is deserted. Our walk to South Kensington tube station is so like one of the opening scenes from “28 Days Later” that I expect to hear Godspeed You! Black Emperor any second. Luckily avoiding any near-misses with rabid zombies, we arrive at the venue in one piece, only to find out Highbury isn’t deserted as my end of the world. Joining a lengthy queue, we wait for half an hour, and following guest-list problems, gain entry to the smoked filled, murky venue. First up is Ephel Duath, who play a storming set. Sadly missing a clean vocalist following Davide T.’s departure, screamer Luciano more than makes up for him in energy, covering the stage and towards the end of the band’s set even moshing in the audience. The drums are stellar as ever, Davide P. proving that age is no barrier when kicking ass is concerned, and the guitar proves as impressive as the band’s debut UK gig. The bass is complex and assured, and ED are tight, pulling off their complex, quirky fusion of jazz-leanings, hardcore and metal with style.

Next up is Beecher, who exude energy, with some defiant and unforgiving metalcore from up North. Vocalist Eddie performs well, both screaming and singing (albeit in a raw manner, suited to the music). He also adds humour to the show, following a proposition from a guy in the audience that the vocalist and his mum should do lunch. And I’m sure they’d have a great time! The guitars are solid, with a perfect amount of distortion, and enough melody to carry the songs. Accomplished bass matches the drums, making for a successful rhythm section in a precise set. The band’s studio efforts work well live, and the group perform with panache and conviction.

Headliners The Locust are an intriguing proposition, but for me the least successful band on show tonight. Their music is interesting indeed, and each member is excellent at their chosen instrument. The performance is also tight in the extreme; the blasting hardcore passages, start-stop sections, plus electronic soundscapes are timed to perfection. However, the music itself does very little for me; while I’m not averse to noise, it has to be done right, and for some reason The Locust just don’t work for me. In between the hyper-speed unremitting hardcore blasts are numerous electronics which make the music disjointed, and – lasting up to several minutes at a time – lose their effect. A good stage presence works in the band’s favour, as the masked band members perform their unusual set, but it is nevertheless, at least for me, somewhat lacking. The fact that every minute-long song follows exactly the same format and is indistinguishable from the others doesn’t help matters. Overall, a swing and a miss; I admire The Locust’s originality, but – for me - they just don’t manage to pull it off. Nevertheless the evening was a great success, with three solid and enjoyable sets.