The longest, most detailed NK interview ever...

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Neil Kernon is one of the greatest producers and sound engineers around. He has been recording, producing and mixing since the 70’s and has an amazing resume that includes all kinds of bands – from Yes to Queensryche to Dokken to Brand X to Nile to Mahavishnu Orchestra to Flotsam and Jetsam, and a million others.

Sea of Tranquility Staff Writer Murat Batmaz caught up with Kernon to talk about his career, thoughts on other producers, and music in general.

Here's the link:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/article.php?sid=931

Cheers!

Great interview! It really gives an insight into the depth of Neil's career.

I had never realized that you came so close to working with Evergrey and Opeth, Neil... that really would've been something. These are two of my favourite bands. I personally wasn't very happy with the sound of 'Recreation Day'... actually I haven't really liked the sound of any of Evergrey's albums.. and I think given the quality of music on there, plus Neil's production/engineering expertise, it really could've come off as something momentous. Likewise with Opeth, I didn't really enjoy Andy's somewhat cliched stamp on their sound... not to get me wrong, I love Andy and I've based my entire production style upon his, but I never found it suitable for a band like Opeth.

Anyhow, rant over... thanks for posting that, and I really look forward to what you get up to in the future, Neil. I love reading about these fantastic careers in the music industry, and can only hope my own can be fractionally as diverse and long!