circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Mass – City of Dis
Crucial Blast Records – January 4th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

MASScity.jpg

Not since the Yakuza have I heard a sax incorporated into metal. Fortunately – for all parties involved – The Mass reside on a much higher plateau than said band. City of Dis combines myriad styles (metal, jazz, one of the cores) into a cohesive body of songs that work on a few different levels. Some tracks are mindless, but most tend to require intense listening to fully register all that is truly happening.

Disappointment rears its head at the beginning of “La Porc,” because of the song’s trashiness. I’m a firm believer that the worst moments from City of Dis are housed within the first minute and thirty seconds of “La Porc.” Enter brilliant section at the 1:40 minute mark, which is enough to reclaim the audience’s attention. The sax works on more than a dissonant level; the synergy, also notable, works quite well and – despite not being as sophisticated as Ephel Duath – the band pull off the shtick in an admirable fashion. “Trapped Under a Ice” (WTF?) definitely has its fair share of cool grooves. Organized chaos can be found in “Hex by Hex” and “Major Strip.” In the latter, chants of Hooty hooty ha / hooty hooty ha ha can be heard. *slaps forehead and shakes head* “Buttlip” has a nice, hectic feel to its commencement, and the sax enters the melee soon after the other instruments do. This is where superb, light jazz is at its best. Again, The Mass aren’t as sophisticated as other groups in certain folds, but that’s hardly of any importance. The remainder of City of Dis is as eccentric – and innovative I might add – as the prior counterparts.

I can’t envision myself listening to this particular record every day of the week, but for those times when I’m in a whimsical mood, City of Dis will provide a harmonious outlet. The Mass are generally great players, and this album relays that point efficiently. Suggested if you prefer the stranger things in life.

8/10

Official The Mass website
Official Crucial Blast Records website

I like it a lot better than I thought I would...I usually hate a lot of avant-garde, self-conscious metal, but this flows pretty well. Seems they are trying to write songs instead of impress everyone with how "different" and "gifted" they are.