The Metal Jazz article

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Interesting article, fairly well done. I think he should have mentioned the Alex Skolnick Trio. I also think that it deserved a more in depth examination of the huge difference between metal and jazz when it comes to improvisation. But overall its better than what one usually gets in the press. Probably because it was done by a guy who runs a MetalJazz website.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...29,0,5284524.story?coll=la-headlines-calendar

It's a good, positive piece overall... but of course, I see things that are problematic anyway.

"And extreme jazz, heavy metal and metal fusion all attract the same kinds of musicians, a breed that's no longer quite so scarce thanks to video games and rapid-cut film editing"

(I don't think this sentence is saying the same thing as the manual dexterity connection brought up later in the article)

"he's also cranked straight metal with Dream Theater"

"Improvisation: Always at the root of jazz, it's also the process through which most modern metal structures are created. And advanced harmony: Both metal and jazz discarded folk basics long ago, and hybrid artists come up with chords that would scare Schoenberg."

It's the usual vapid mainstream bullshit, tied in with the usual vapid prog nerd inability to comprehend basic music theory. This dork probably wanks it to Opeth.

And yeah, the statement about metal being 'improvisational' was merely the most obvious of a series of bullshit statements. There was always a tension in rock music between the directionless, improvisational spirit inherited from jazz and the unidimensional focus-grouped polish of commercial pop music. In breaking with previous generations of rock, metal, ambient music, industrial, some hardcore and, to a certain extent, the early generation of 'alternative' rock all made end runs around this dichotomy by making music that was at the same time complex and multidimensional, but also deliberately composed with a certain effect or intent in mind, rather than just being jammed out in the studio. Instead of heaping praise on dumbass postmodern hippies like Steve Vai and Zakk Wylde, the article should have focused on artists like Atheist, Morbid Angel or Seance, who borrowed tonal and harmonic elements from jazz to enrich their expressive lexicon without getting caught up in the more defective elements of jazz (i.e. the emphasis on improvisation over rigorous composition). But, of course, this was written by a douchebag who thinks video games lead to musicianship, so, we don't get anything so useful.