The Mistake That Set Me Rolling

Alright, so one year, I somehow came across the band Otep (don't ask why, she scares me now). I got into them a lot, and for my birthday I wanted their Sevas Tra CD. Well come my birthday, I am handed my present. I open it, and lo and behold, inside is Deliverance by Opeth. I stare at it for a good two minutes and mutter "Opeth?? Who's Opeth?" We all got a good laugh out of it (minus the "we all" part, I was kinda pissed off). But I wanted to give it a try, so I stuck the CD in my stereo and out comes Wreath's furious riffs, heavy double-bass pedaling and Mikael's death growl. The house was shook, and I was in epplectic shock. Ever since I have been listening to Opeth. In fact, Deliverance was in my CD player for three straight weeks, no kidding. I didn't even listen to anything else. The strangest thing was, before this, I didn't even like metal. :cool:

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
wow! be welcome to opeth then...

btw: i have no idea who otep is!

Otep is a very, very bad nu-rap-metal band, in which the lead female vocalist claims she is a poet and tries to be "avant-garde" and spells "I" like "eye", talks about being raped by her father in a 7 minute song, and has very, very simplistic melodies. At times, it sounds like Limp Bizkit, and at other times like a Katatonia wanabe except no depth. They have no talent. Heh.

Just to spare myself from noob-hazing, I own every Opeth album and I love them all, so I'm not that new to them anymore. ;)

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
thx.....don't have to know'em then...

when was this fateful birthday?

Haha, this year. :D February 28th, 2003. When I turned 15. *realizas there's no escaping the hazing now*

KielbasaSausage said:
well damn, welcome to the board. hopefully you'll find out many more sweet metal bands from the people posting here. :)

Ever since I got into Opeth, I've been expanding my tastes. I recently spent 150 dollars on metal albums. So far, the only type which I don't ENJOY (not that I don't like, I like them all), is thrash. But my favorite band besides Opeth would have to be Emperor or maybe Katatonia. If you're wondernig, here's what I got.

Emperor - Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise (I also got all their other albums later)
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape (If you don't have this album shoot yourself and hire a necromancer to raise you back to life so you can buy it)
Metallica - Master of Puppets (honestly, I'm not too amazed as I was with Opeth, even though it's considered to be a true classic)
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (took me a while to get used to his vocals after hearing the utterly Satanic voice of Mikael haha)
Death - Human (remains one of my favorite death albums of all time)
Ozzy OSbourne - Blizzard of Ozz (interesting album, not on my top 50, but really a nice album)
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (IMO one of their weakest albums, besides a few select songs. Paranoid is so much better)
In Flames - Whoracle (wow. There's not much more that I can say, lol)

And of course every other Opeth album. Also I want to try out some Camel, but it's hard to find. I read in many interviews that it was one of Mikael's main influences. What CD do you suggest?

terrymx said:
just checked out otep, eye'm reading their lyrics, great poetry

:Smug: I hope you're joking. Lol.

I admit I've been harsh about Otep. Some songs like Thots and T.R.I.C.S. are absolutely horrid, but Sacrilege for example isn't "bad". It's not amazing but it's decent.

http://www.otep.com

Since people seem interested in bands taht have been deemed bad, there's the link to their site.

illbeleavinnow said:
Emperor - Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise (I also got all their other albums later)
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape (If you don't have this album shoot yourself and hire a necromancer to raise you back to life so you can buy it)
Metallica - Master of Puppets (honestly, I'm not too amazed as I was with Opeth, even though it's considered to be a true classic)
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (took me a while to get used to his vocals after hearing the utterly Satanic voice of Mikael haha)
Ozzy OSbourne - Blizzard of Ozz (interesting album, not on my top 50, but really a nice album)
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (IMO one of their weakest albums, besides a few select songs. Paranoid is so much better)
In Flames - Whoracle (wow. There's not much more that I can say, lol)

I'd like to make a recommendation (since you're relatively new to metal): You need to check out Iron Maiden. They are classic, and, for many years, were the band in the world of metal. They still kick ass, but have been overshadowed by younger, fresher bands, such as Opeth, etc.

Anyway, I highly suggest you check out one of the following three classic masterpieces (IMO, these are the best introduction into Maiden):

Piece of Mind
The Number of the Beast
Powerslave

illbeleavinnow said:
How can you say stuff like that when you've been listening to metal for only 2 months...? It confuses me.