The Next Tarja?

7thSaviour

Power Metal Maniac
Jul 8, 2005
Dixieland USA
KATRA! I just picked up her latest disc, Beast Within. 9.5/10 It reminds me of a cross between Tarja and Edenbridge vocally and musically speaking. Favorite tracks include:
1.Grace Of Sahara
2.Flow
3.Forgotten Bride
4.Scars In My Heart
5.Kuunpoika
6.Storm Rider

Hail!:headbang::kickass:

got this CD about 2 weeks ago, I fucking love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:kickass::headbang:

I'm actually listening to it as I type this! haha!
Didn't I mention the Tarja-esque quality of her voice when you played it for me? I knew there was someone she reminded me of and I had trouble putting my finger on it. I believe you also mentioned to me some Angtoria-like melodies that this band incorporates here and there. Indeed, Katra has similarities to many of the other bands we love, but seems to compile them in their own unique way. A good album to bring to the attention of the board IMO! :headbang:

I'm looking forward to getting to know this album better, since I've only listened to it once. It would probably be more times, if I could pry it out of Nick's hands/car. :Smug: :p

I like the occasional Nightwish and After Forever tune, but have never really been able to get into this style of music. The only female-fronted bands that ever really interested me were Amaran and Todesbonden. With respect to Amaran, they never really blossomed as songwriters the way I hoped they might. As for Todesbonden, I need to hear the new disc.

Zod

I like the occasional Nightwish and After Forever tune, but have never really been able to get into this style of music. The only female-fronted bands that ever really interested me were Amaran and Todesbonden. With respect to Amaran, they never really blossomed as songwriters the way I hoped they might. As for Todesbonden, I need to hear the new disc.

Zod

Zod, have you heard Benedictum?

Or Shadowside? Or Triosphere? Or Beautiful Sin?

None of those are your typical symphonic/operatic type of female fronted metal. I actually prefer stuff in the vein of those four bands far more so than any of the Nightwish/Epica type stuff. (For me, After Forever falls somewhere in between, although I do love them.) I've always preferred slightly harsher female vocals with more powerful rhythms behind them. :headbang: The symphonic stuff is easier to come by, but when I discover a new powerful female vocalist, I eat it up since they seem to be more rare. Katra might not be your thing, but I'd be interested to hear what you think of the other four Yardley and I mentioned.

Yes. I don't care for the songs/music. However, I do like her voice and would be dating her if I wasn't currently attached. She hit on me when we were at Wacken. Walked up to me in the backstage area and asked me where I was from. We chatted a little and she asked me where I was staying. Turned out we were staying at the same hotel. She gave me her room number and said that Paula and I should... oh... wait. That never happened. That was a dream I had. Never mind. :loco:

Or Shadowside? Or Triosphere? Or Beautiful Sin?
I believe I've heard Triosphere and Beautiful Sin. And I'm going to say I wasn't impressed or else I'd own their discs. However, to be fair, I don't recall what either sounds like. If you had to recommend one song, as a good starting point for each of those artists, what would those songs be? Thanks.

Zod

KATRA! I just picked up her latest disc, Beast Within. 9.5/10 It reminds me of a cross between Tarja and Edenbridge vocally and musically speaking. Favorite tracks include:
1.Grace Of Sahara
2.Flow
3.Forgotten Bride
4.Scars In My Heart
5.Kuunpoika
6.Storm Rider

Hail!:headbang::kickass:

Hmmm...I'll check this out. You tend to get overtly excited about everything, but I'll give this a shot nevertheless. :lol:

~Brian~

Yes. I don't care for the songs/music. However, I do like her voice and would be dating her if I wasn't currently attached. She hit on me when we were at Wacken. Walked up to me in the backstage area and asked me where I was from. We chatted a little and she asked me where I was staying. Turned out we were staying at the same hotel. She gave me her room number and said that Paula and I should... oh... wait. That never happened. That was a dream I had. Never mind. :loco:
Zod

:lol: I like this story Zod! :lol:

course it doesn't hurt that she "may" have mistaken you for Ralf Scheepers.

l_5ad63b41f48a9c886f58d31d64bbf325.jpg

Yeah, and Sharon Den Adel was hitting on me during their show in Knoxville last year too! :lol:

~Brian~

I believe I've heard Triosphere and Beautiful Sin. And I'm going to say I wasn't impressed or else I'd own their discs. However, to be fair, I don't recall what either sounds like. If you had to recommend one song, as a good starting point for each of those artists, what would those songs be? Thanks.

Zod
For Triosphere, I would probably suggest Gunnin' For Glory from their album Onwards.

For Beautiful Sin, I would suggest either Lost or Spark of Ignition off The Unexpected, but you're a little tough for me to figure out sometimes, so I would suggest giving the whole album a chance if you can. I really enjoy this album in it's entirety.

Both bands only have one album right now.

I didn't care for the vocals of Shadowside or Triosphere, but I like Beautiful Sin - thanks for the info.
Glad you liked Beautiful Sin. Did you notice who's in the band? :heh:

Although, it always surprises me when folks like Benedictum and not Shadowside. To me they are very similar vocally.