The Night and the Silent Water

Dangerblade

Misunderstood
Nov 30, 2001
Bristol, England
stations.mp3s.com
What is it that makes this song in my opinion the best Opeth song?

Listen to it. It's fucking gorgeous. Everything about it rules; the lyrics; drums; guitars; EVERYTHING. Especially the guitars. The last three minutes are fucking beautiful...best riffs ever created. The song is apparantly about Mikael's grandfather, who died. Anyway...tell me your views on this song.

very special song indeed. it was the very first song i ever
heard by them, so it naturally a personal song to me.

its been awhile since i read the article regarding its
meaning... but i believe it reflects many shitty things that
happened to mike, including the death of his grandfather
and a cheating girlfriend.

"Am I like them?
Those who mourn and turn away
Those who would give anything
To see you again
If only for another second"

Those words struck a very personal note with the loss of my wifes mother. The depth of my wifes loss was hard to imagine and I would have given anything for her to see her mother again.

I had listened to the song many times before this all happened and never really thought it was any better than other Opeth songs. Now it is by far my favorite song, haunting and beautiful and powerful. But most of all it is a personal thing to me now.

Originally posted by Glohithia
"Am I like them?
Those who mourn and turn away
Those who would give anything
To see you again
If only for another second"

Those words struck a very personal note with the loss of my wifes mother. The depth of my wifes loss was hard to imagine and I would have given anything for her to see her mother again.

I had listened to the song many times before this all happened and never really thought it was any better than other Opeth songs. Now it is by far my favorite song, haunting and beautiful and powerful. But most of all it is a personal thing to me now.

The way Mikael sings that bit reminds me of Maynard.

I had heard that all of the songs on this album were about Mike's girlfriend cheating on him or something. :confused: Still, another great Opeth song.

Apparently it's too quiet for some people, but a strong contender for my favorite Opeth song ever. The beginning is Opeth at their most melodic and touching, and the transition from the somber acoustic parts to the Eastern-influenced thingie is genius. The ending is so simple you wouldn't recognize it's Opeth, but when it gets under your skin...

My favorite off Morningrise along with Nectar.

:lol:

I love that sig, Vortex..

I read at one point what each album and their songs represented, and what I recall about Morningrise is that it's the one album that has two songs about heartaches in Mikael's life. The Night And The Silent Waters is just incredibly well done.

"...still so dark."

That this thread was the first to catch my eye this morning...

This is the song that in the past few days, keeps going around inside my head. The opening hook, especially...and what a great finale!

Awesome tune! One of Opeth's best, for sure (IMO).

Certainly one of Opeth's greatest and most emotional songs. This is one of the songs by Opeth that frequently gets stuck in my head (which is a good thing). I'm sure many would disagree, but I see this song also as another perfect example of a mountain of emotional intesity, common in the first three albums, that is lacking in BWP and Still Life.

Heh, thank you Opet...I just created it to reflect some of my inner thoughts.

There is something about that emotion thing indeed. You don't get the heartaching feel from the songs on BWP, instead you get diverse musical landscapes. Which isn't worse, just different. I don't think I could take five albums full of emotional lamentations anyway. ;)

dangerblade: You...sleep...in...the...light...yet...the...night...and...the...silent...water...still...so daaaaaaaaaark...That bit is fucking haunting, and the music fits with it so well... ugh. "

just reading that line sent shivers down my spine.

i know what's missing in the SL and BWP...its those meandering, fluid, wandering melodies. its been replaced with those swollen jazz chords, which is good and all, but i still miss those trademark melodies of morningrise and orchid.