The nu-metal thread - for spawny

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
Spawny: I was very bored tonight, so I got listening to some of the nu-metal from my collection which doesn't get much attention. Some of it is quite good, but yeah, most of it is mediocre to shit, and I dunno what I was thinking at the time. Oh well.

Anyways, heres some of the shit I think is good value, and if you don't have it, get it!

Segression - Smile: They turned nu-metal on this album, but who gives a fuck, coz it is still rockin! Some of the best nu-metal around.

Skinlab - Disembody - The New Flesh: So you bought their new album and didn't think much of it, but have you heard this one?? If not, you are missing out. After hearing this, I don't understand why Slipknot get tagged as being the bad boys of nu-metal, this album IS brutal, and doesn't just pretend to be! It WILL rip your fucking head off!! And if you haven't heard it by now, you MUST d/l the track "So Far From The Truth", it is a killer, and a nu-metal classic!

Disturbed - The Sickness: Another nu-metal band that sheds the skin of generic nu-metal, and offers something different. Great vocals, great band, great album.

Static X: They can at times be brilliant, and at times mediocre. If you haven't heard much of them though, they are definately worth checkin out.

Godsmack: They are great, but I already know you like em, so I won't preach to ya.

Anyways, what are some *good* nu-metal bands in your opinion, that the rest of us (me) might like?? And no, Slipknot is not an option. :p :D

What constitutes nu-metal these days? Is it still stuff like Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit etc (hell, I don't know if those last two were ever nu-metal!) or does it go on to bands such as Nickelback and all those other angst-ridden neo-grunge bands?

There's some new band that has a couple of singles out - can't remember the name of them, The Calling or something like that? - which typifies what's wrong with rock these days - OK music, but REALLY whiny, deep vocals which take no talent whatsoever (in this writer's opinion).

Ok, im gonna get the Skinlab album you mentioned next trip to Utopia :)

Ive got the Segression and Disturbed album, didnt really get into Segression, but Disturbed can get pretty rocking :)

Heres some others for you to check out:

Korn - Issues: My favourite Korn album, its really quite good, regardless of what anyone else says :)

Machinehead - The Burning Red: Its really not as bad as its made out to be, Desire To Fire and Nothing Left rock!

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory: Very catchy stuff, though id say all the best tracks have been released as singles, so if you didnt like them, you wont like the rest.

Fear Factory - Digimortal: Not sure these guys qualify as Numetal, but seeing as this album got slammed in the press, ill put it here. This ones great, shorter songs, kinda like a black album by Fear Factory, but I think its great.

Drain STH - Horror Wrestling: This cd is awesome, not really Numetal, just HEAVY metal, really REALLY good :)

Spiffy: I think you got it right. I think all the new style 'rock' bands such as Nikelback, Creed, ect. fall into some sort of 'modern rock' catagory or something. I don't think 'nu-metal' is dead though, as everyone says. If Slipknot can still reach #1 on the charts (even though the Aria charts mean nothing...), then nu-metal ain't dead. It is just undergoing changes...

Spawny: Yeah, I have a couple of those albums. I really got into 'The Burning Red' when it first came out, but I don't think as highly of it now. Earlier Machine Head is better. :D
I also have 'Issues', which is also good, but just good. From what I have heard of 'Digimortal', it is good nu-metal, but not so good by Fear Factory's standards. I prefer their older stuff too.

I can't believe I forgot to mention 'White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000'!! This has got to be one of, if not the best nu-metal albums ever released! It blows my mind! If you don't have it, GET IT!! ..or at least a sample from it anyways...

Adds White Zombie to the list.........

To check out Drain STH get Klotera or I Dont Mind and you will get a great idea of what they are like! :headbang:

White Zombie have been around since the late 80's early 90's.

They aren't nu-metal. Speaking of Nu-metal.it is the most fucked up pigeonholing of any metal genre,it's a nicer way of saying shit i think. Think about it,all styles ussually have a distinctive sound that makes them part of the genre, nu-metal seems to be anything that comes out that is mainstream, it's a genre label based on marketing not music,which quite ironically the bands are to,fuck i've neve ranted like this before, whats wrong with me.Down with pidgeons and holes.:mad:

I tend to label music as nu-metal based on the overall sound and structure of the songs. Alot of that has to do with the guitar sound (ie. tuning) and the riffs. I think White Zombie fits the same description as alot of nu-metal bands, so I find them to be nu-metal. And that doesn't mean their shit. I happen to like alot of stuff that is nu-metal, so I don't just label it as nu-metal because I think its shit.
'Astro-Creep' was released in 1995, as was Fear Factory's 'Demanufacture', and the Deftones 'Adrenaline'. All these releases are nu-metal.
Korn's debut was released in 94, which alot of people consider to be the "birth" of nu-metal.
Sepultura's 'Chaos AD' was realesed in 96, and just because they were around playing thrash in the 80s before the nu-metal movement started, doesn't change the fact that this album can be labelled as nu-metal. It has alot of nu-metal inflluences IMO, and we saw the direction they went with their next album 'Roots'.
I really like White Zombie's 'Astro-Creep 2000', it is a great album, but that doesn't mean it ain't nu-metal. What Rob Zombie is doing now in his solo career is nu-metal, and I like that too...

I think alot of people are just scared to admit that they like some nu-metal, and try to talk their way around it. Thats my 2 cents anyway...

I always thought nu-metal was just another name for rap-ish metal, and I don't remember any rapping in those Sepultura albums (or Fear Factory come to think of it). Not much of a Sepultura fan anyway, even though I have three albums.

I used to avoid Fear Factory like the plague because I figured that because they were popular, then they'd be no good - just another Limp Bizkit or Korn or whatever. Then I decided to buy Obsolete and found it was awesome.

Anyway, with metal there are just two labels for me - stuff that rules, and stuff that doesn't.

I find "nu-metal" to be the stupidest label ever because simply it refers to metal that is new.

Wouldn't that make Freedom Call or Rhapsody nu-metal? :D

See it's ridiculous, and alot of it isn't even metal which makes the term stupider. I think nu-metal could be used to describe bands like Nevermore or Skinlab who are playing a new breed of metal, but I mean one wouldn't call Nevermore nu-metal because there is no way they'd be clumped with Slipknot. However, Nevermore are playing a new modern style of metal. Slipknot are not.

Most "nu-metal" bands in my opinion are much closer to "Hardcore" than to metal. Their style has far more elements of hardcore and even of grunge than of heavy metal in my opinion. To me its a hybrid of hardcore, grunge, industrial, rap and thrash metal. And the rap and thrash metal elements are probably the least obvious in the sound too, so how it got the label of nu-METAL is beyond me. I spose the media label anything heavy to be metal.

The fans define what style a band plays to me. If a band was metal, it was appeal to a metal crowd. If a band was pop, it appeals to a pop crowd. Etc. So if most metal fans hate most nu-metal bands, and the crowds at nu-metal concerts are mainly made up of the alternative rock crowd who progressed from grunge to alternative to industrial, etc.. how are they metal bands if they appeal to a non-metal audience MUCH moreso than a metal audience?

The way I see it, around the early '90s, there was the heavy metal scene which was all about long hair, leather, big stage shows, guitar solos, power, speed, intricacy, bad boys, etc. Then there was the grunge scene which was the exact opposite of all that. It was based on music not being purely entertainment and larger than life and that bands shouldn't need the image and stage show and guitar solos and showing off and all that, and it should have more artistic integrity and political/social reflection.

In my opinion, nu-metal and pretty much all modern rock since then falls much more into drawing from the grunge movement than the metal scene. Grunge killed all that was good about rock'n'roll.

I think only of the only bands who has brought back any of the rock'n'roll instead of being too serious is Kid Rock, but they suck.

Anyway, there is my little rant for today. Bring back rock'n'roll in heavy music is what I think should happen! Heavy metal was the true rock'n'roll I think. Nu-metal is named wrong and is crap.

Blitzys right, a lot of metal fans are too scared to admit they like any Numetal, which makes them the biggest posers ever because they dont think for themselves :D

Hail and kill! ;)

Originally posted by spawn
Blitzys right, a lot of metal fans are too scared to admit they like any Numetal, which makes them the biggest posers ever because they dont think for themselves :D

Hail and kill! ;)

Well this metal chick is very proud to say I don't like any of it....this may be due to the fact I love my glam more than anything else.
So young Spawny don't go calling this chick a poser .............remember I know where you live.....I'll fix ya' up ....I'm still full of rage of my haircut too...so look out boy because "I'm a loaded gun, bang bang" ;)

Originally posted by The Trooper
However, Nevermore are playing a new modern style of metal. Slipknot are not.

Hmm, could you perhaps explain to me who Slipknot sound like, and then why they are not playing a new style of metal? :D