the ocean

O'blivion

blood flowing skywards
Sep 15, 2001
E-town
i can't help but notice the hold the ocean has on the music of new england bands, such as MotW and more recently, ISIS. speaking as someone who has never seen it, how has the ocean shaped your lives personally/spiritually/etc.?

I think the ocean is probably the greatest ("great" in its all-encompassing definition, huge both physically and metaphysically) phenomenon/presence on our planet. It kinda keeps me grounded, knowing that we live alongside of this living and mysterious and terrifying system we can't master or fully plumb. In my mind it's almost got a marginal consciousness or intelligence, too.

Fuck, the ocean is just the raddest thing ever. You need to go see it before you die!

ocean_b.jpg

Well, it's not the ocean, but I used to go to the lakefront all the time in school (Lake Michigan), and there were beaches and stuff, and it was always really soothing. Only thing I really didn't care for about the ocean was jellyfish while swimming/jet skiing.

But definitely, it's a sight to behold; nothing can compete with the sheer vastness of water as far as you can see. It's incredibly humbling and awe-inspiring.
10063617.jpg

the ocean is neat. i used to go there with my dad and we'd catch little fish with a net and let them loose again. i can't swim though, so the ocean also sort of scares the crap out of me.
but it has sharks and stuff.

i agree with toby, actually!

I think swimming in the ocean sucks. it's salty and sandy and cold and dangerous and full of puke and toilet paper. the last seven or eight years times I've gone to the seashore i haven't swam, but rather poked around on the rocks or maybe waded up to my calves. you're not missing anything, preppy.

well, my friend got a beach house in newport RI so i guess i will find out for myself and stuff. i did wade around in the water a bit, but i plan on FULL ON LEARNING TO SURF next year.
haha

Originally posted by VangelicSurgeon
I'd rather swim in the ocean than in some stagnant bacteria ridden lake!

i'll take bacteria over Frilled Sharks,Sixgill and Sevengill Sharks, Sharpnose sevengill sharks, Bluntnose sixgill sharks, Bigeye sixgill sharks, Broadnose or spotted sevengill sharks, Bramble Sharks, Prickly sharks, Dogfish sharks, Gulper sharks, Dumb gulper sharks, Lowfin gulper sharks, Smallfin gulper sharks, Taiwan gulper sharks, Leafscale gulper sharks, Mosaic gulper sharks, Little gulper sharks, Plunket sharks, Kitefin sharks, New Zealand lanternsharks, Taillight sharks, Pygmy sharks, Cookiecutter or cigar sharks, Greenland sleeper sharks, Japanese roughsharks, Longnose sawsharks, Sawback angelsharks, Horn sharks, Crested bullhead sharks, Barbelthroat carpetsharks, Tasmanian carpetsharks, Blind sharks, Burmese bamboosharks, Zebra sharks, Whale sharks, Crocodile sharks, Goblin sharks, Megamouth Sharks, Thresher Sharks Great white sharks, Mako sharks, Atlantic ghost catsharks, Federov's catsharks, basking sharks, sand sharks, hammerhead sharks, blue-tip sharks, nurse sharks, crabs, lobsters, stingrays, moray eels, etc etc