The official guess the new headliner thread

Could it be Finland's very own AMORPHIS?

Now that would be awesome, also, but since its a band that has been around for a long time, My money is still on TAROT, or PRETTY MAIDS cause they would bring something unique to the show.

After Forever?

Having two B&B bands back to back would certainly go outside the regular pattern.

After Forever does fit the exclusionary criteria of choice D.

DarkTide said:
You are thinking along the same lines as me monalith99, but my guess is Mystic Prophecy. They don't have Gus G. any more, but judging from what I've heard of their upcoming disc he isn't missed all that much .. if at all.

MP is an under the radar type I think, but they are of the highest quality when it comes to Power Metal, and play at an energy level that will blow the roof off the house.

I don't think they would normally be a true headline status band, but this year I think they are because of certain circumstances, and I think they would go over very well. They seem to meet all the criteria that has been layed out.

They have a new disc coming out later this month (their 4th), and it's a face ripper. I just think they are one of those bands that would steal the show, and come out of Prog Power with a huge bunch of new fans.

Oh well, that's my guess anyway !! Even if it's not them I think they would make for a terrific Prog Power band in the near future.

Britt

I highly doubt it'd be Mystic Prophecy...they opened up for Freedom Call on their latest tour and I would even further highly doubt it'd be Freedom Call headlining this festival. I'm guessing Finntroll, they didn't really do much of a tour here.

You are probably right ragingsaxmachine ... I'm just taking wild guesses. Glenn hinted that it's definately not a big name band. I really don't have a great gauge for Euro bands perceived popularity, so I could be way off base with my MP guess. I guess I thought MP was just a notch or so below Brainstorm and Tad Morose on the power metal food chain. I can't imagine Finntroll packing any seats, but who knows?

Britt

ragingsaxmachine said:
I highly doubt it'd be Mystic Prophecy...they opened up for Freedom Call on their latest tour and I would even further highly doubt it'd be Freedom Call headlining this festival. I'm guessing Finntroll, they didn't really do much of a tour here.

A band singing in Swedish that currently doesn't have a lead singer? I think FT would be pushing it, even for Glenn.

I know it will NOT be so, but the best band should have been

SABATON

I'd be happy with Queensryche, just slip Chris DeGarmo back in there
for one night, either that or UFO with Michael Schenker :)

Harvester said:
Dark Tide,

Good post. The only thing that I will add is that I would rather book an act that is truly excited about the festival and the opportunity to do something special than just another big name that treats this as any other tour/festival appearance.

Glenn H.
That's the way it should be! These bands that think that their collective 'shit don't stink' need to be kicked to the curb! It's a tremendous honor to play @ PP!

As far as who could be the headliner...I'd have to know how far Glenn is willing to go in doing something different. Glenn, how far are you willing to go (I don't really expect an answer)?:p Damn! I can't wait till Monday!

But, one choice that would be different for a headliner spot would be Redemption. They only have 2 albums in the can and one already written, that needs to be recorded. Normally headliners would have to have more of a catalog, and have been around for a longer period of time. But as far as the material and the performers, they're definitely headliner worthy!

I wish it was Savatage - and no WOMD title, pure 100% savatage with Pitrelli, Caffery, Middleton, Plate, and Oliva.

Just saw a video on Youtube from them in 1998 doing Gutter Ballet with both Jon and Zack (Professionally shot, look it up if you want to see it). Was absolutely incredible.

:( I miss those days

Not my favorite band, but I'd be happy to see them. They frequently tour Europe but I don't think they have ever played the States. So they would be thrilled to play PP.

I am still hoping to see Threshold headline.

Originally Posted by Harvester
Dark Tide,

Good post. The only thing that I will add is that I would rather book an act that is truly excited about the festival and the opportunity to do something special than just another big name that treats this as any other tour/festival appearance.

Glenn H.
hmmmm, has that ever happened before? hmmmm :cool:
I'd love Tarot, Amorphis or Firewind. Not coming up with any other ideas. Would be great to have After Forever or Within Temptation, but doubt that's gonna happen. Queensryche? No way.
I wish it was Savatage - and no WOMD title, pure 100% savatage with Pitrelli, Caffery, Middleton, Plate, and Oliva.
:( I miss those days
I miss those days too, but I fear they are long gone. :cry:

5150 said:
Not my favorite band, but I'd be happy to see them. They frequently tour Europe but I don't think they have ever played the States. So they would be thrilled to play PP.

I am still hoping to see Threshold headline.

DST has had songs on the last couple of sampler disks, and I have been asking for them to be at least in the pre-party for I dunno how long.

Glenn would be taking a huge leap of faith to bring these guys here.

My best guess is Dream Evil. I'm not sure, have they played in the states before? They seem to fit the criteria. Although they only have three albums, I think they could easily pull off headlining.
I would rather book an act that is truly excited about the festival and the opportunity to do something special than just another big name that treats this as any other tour/festival appearance.

Glenn H.

I think they would be truly excited about coming over here to headline. As far as "doing something special," I don't know, having everyone singing along with "Chosen Ones" or chanting "Made of Metal" would be pretty special for me.

I'm sure that I'm completely wrong but thats the fun in these kinds of threads. Glenn is probably going to book Narnia to play, with the new Chronicles movie playing on mute behind them, ala Dark Side of the Rainbow.

I sincerely hope it's not Amorphis. I like some of their studio work, but I saw them twice live and they just bored me to tears. :p

Stream of Passion would be cool, but they're definitely not headliner material.

As far as who Glenn has in mind though, I have no idea. Replacing Nevermore is certainly going to be a difficult task. Unfortunately (for me) it's probably not going to be a heavy band such as them since there are only so many that would really fit at this type of festival, let alone headline it. I just hope they're not replaced by hardcore cheese. :erk: