The Old Dead Tree: progmetal from France

Silvia

Dec 4, 2004
Utrecht, the Netherlands
www.livexs.nl
Since its creation in early 1997, The Old dead Tree has stood out in the current European metal scene with their unique musical style. A style which combines extreme metal, dark rock and pop that is accented with the exceptional vocals of Manuel Munoz who slides effortlessly from one style to the other.

Following the suicide of their previous drummer, Frederic Guillemot, in 1999, the band was inspired to exorcise their
loss and all the dark feelings and frustration his suicide invoked. The result was the concept album "The Nameless Disease". Produced by Andy Classen (Graveworm,Dew Scented, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter ,…) and mastered by Goran Finberg (In Flames, Opeth, Dimmu Borgir…) this album carries a powerful, aggressive and modern sound.

606204666_l.jpg

The band signed with Season of Mist in 2002 who finally gave Frederic's epic eulogy a proper release. The Old Dead Tree played several shows and fests in support of the record with the likes of Opeth, Katatonia and Paradise Lost.

In 2004, Franck Metayer, drummer since 1999, left the band in order to devote himself to his personal life. He was replaced by Foued Moukid who's debut performance with the band appears on their new, 2005 album, The Perpetual Motion. The band plays several high profile fests over in the summer of 2005 as a precursor to this release, including "Summer Darkness" (NL) and "Fury Fest (FR) alongside Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Lacuna Coil, Opeth and Soilwork.
The new songs have been promoted live across Europe this autumn alongside Epica and some more shows are to come.

official website: http://www.theolddeadtree.com/
International board: http://www.ecclipse.net/forum/index.php?showforum=281

todt02.jpg

Very good band :headbang:. I love "The Nameless Disease". Couldn't get into their last album though. Sounds nice but doesn't seem to have the flair like its predecessor. Maybe i just need a few more listens.

But i wouldn't call it progmetal. It's not easy to categorize though. Some death- some gothic-metal influence. Alltogether a quite depressing mixture :)