The Omega's been getting some interesting stuff lately

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
On an almost daily basis, they're restocking the shelves! As of late, I've noticed a few items that caught my eye. Any thoughts on these?

Armageddon - Crossing the Rubicon (re-release)
Armageddon - Embrace the Mystery (re-release)
Vital Remains - Forever Underground
Vital Remains - Into Cold Darkness
Adagio - Sanctum Ignis
Adagio - Underworld

Bear in mind, I didn't like Armageddon's Three as much as everyone else (although I haven't sold it); I love Vital Remains' Dechristianize and Dawn of the Apocalypse but I'm wary that the earlier stuff might be 'straight up' death metal with no wicked flamenco acoustic guitar leads!!; and I keep hearing about Adagio even though every other person refers to them as a Symphony X clone, and I'm not sure if I need more Malmsteen / Romeo blitzkrieg neo-classical fretboard wizardy in my CD collection.

I have the original Crossing the Rubicon. It's pretty good. If you like EUcharist, you'll probably like it. THe ones after it have a clean vocalist, so I didn't bother with them.

BWD - you are the spawn of Satan! Have you ever considered a career as a realtor? :loco: Most of the 80 CD's I just sold were all originally blind purchases - I think I've learned my lesson, heh.

speaking of new stuff at the Omega, has anyone heard the new Finntroll EP? It has five songs on it, but I read it was a teaser. SO does this mean the 5 songs will be on the full-length coming out this summer?

Well, I bought the Visor Om Slutet EP and I certainly don't think it was $10. Half of it was the sound of wind blowing through the trees or a stupid owl hooting at passers by. Seems like the new one has sold out already - how much was it? I think I can wait for the full release...

JayKeeley said:
BWD - you are the spawn of Satan! Have you ever considered a career as a realtor? :loco: Most of the 80 CD's I just sold were all originally blind purchases - I think I've learned my lesson, heh.
the only times i buy CDs blindly is if they have 3 of the following:

1) cool cover
2) cool band name and/or album title
3) unreadable logo
4) dan swano is involved

I like one song on Visor Om Slutet. THey could have done a lot more with that one.

I didn't see how much it was, but I'll just wait for the full length as well. If I had to guess, the new EP probably has one exclusive song to attract fanboys.

Dreamlord said:
I have the original Crossing the Rubicon. It's pretty good. If you like EUcharist, you'll probably like it. THe ones after it have a clean vocalist, so I didn't bother with them.
Well, if it's like Eucharist, you would describe it then as early melo-death before melo-death turned to shit? Bear in mind, I absolutely LOVE A Velvet Creation so elaborate at will. The thing about Three was that it was essentially heavy blues-based rock. I can take it or leave it - it's good fun for a summer day, but it's no masterpiece.

Dreamlord said:
I like one song on Visor Om Slutet. THey could have done a lot more with that one.
Exactly - that's why I felt a little grifted into paying for a full-length. Bear in mind that this was when 90% of CD's sold at The Omega were $10 by default. These price increases have been recent.

I didn't see how much it was, but I'll just wait for the full length as well. If I had to guess, the new EP probably has one exclusive song to attract fanboys.
There's a good review of it up at UM Reviews already, although the reviewer said it was similar to the first two albums...which to me are rather different so the comparison isn't descriptive enough. The band themselves fucking hate Jacktens Tid - they think it's too Power Metal'ish, but sheeyat, I like it.

Crossing the Rubicon was released in '97, so we're not talking forerunners of the genre, but keep in mind Mirrorworlds was also released in '97. And it was originally released on WAR music (same as Eucharist, "Black Earth", early In Flames, etc), so you know the quality will be pretty good.

It has some melo-death "stars" as well in Chris Amott and Peter Wildoer. Personally, I think its one of the highlights of the genre, just simply overlooked like all of WAR's releases.

JayKeeley said:
There's a good review of it up at UM Reviews already, although the reviewer said it was similar to the first two albums...which to me are rather different so the comparison isn't descriptive enough. The band themselves fucking hate Jacktens Tid - they think it's too Power Metal'ish, but sheeyat, I like it.
I read the review, but it didn't tell me much. I checked their website and CM's website, but couldn't find any tracklistings. The Finntroll forum is down as well.

Hmmm, Jacktens Tid is my favorite from them.

okay, so all of us aren't drunken, but posts like this...

JayKeeley said:
Well, I bought the Visor Om Slutet EP and I certainly don't think it was $10. Half of it was the sound of wind blowing through the trees or a stupid owl hooting at passers by. Seems like the new one has sold out already - how much was it? I think I can wait for the full release...
...make me wonder if we should look for careers on wall street! :lol: :p :lol:

according to Librarius Metallicus, the new Finntroll EP has only 1 song in common, out of 5, with the upcoming full-length

Dreamlord said:
Hmmm, Jacktens Tid is my favorite from them.
I just re-read my review for it, and it was Trollhorn (at the time, the band's spokesman) who went on record in saying that it turned out too power metal'ish. I like both albums equally, but I haven't heard them in a while. I'm going to get my Jacktens Tid now me thinks...! :tickled: