The "Opeth - Heritage kicks ass" thread

How awesome is this new Opeth shit?

• Total voters

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
This shit is like day and night compared to Opeth's "progressive death metal". Have they been doing some acid or did they just naturally become amazing with age?

Discuss.

zabu of nΩd;10031920 said:
This shit is like day and night compared to Opeth's "progressive death metal". Have they been doing some acid or did they just naturally become amazing with age?

Discuss.

The album is pretty terrible. They have become steadily worse with each album. This album is a perfect example of why bands should change names.

cool trollin bro. clearly a metal band is bound for utter shame if they stop being formulaic, and should not sully their good name with experimentation.

zabu of nΩd;10031939 said:
cool trollin bro. clearly a metal band is bound for utter shame if they stop being formulaic, and should not sully their good name with experimentation.

Kinda like Morbid Angel amirite?

I'm a huge Opeth fan and I only liked 4 out of the 10 tracks. The album is a disappointment. Most of the songs fail to catch my attention. I liked Damnation a lot, so the lack of death vocals isn't the issue. Heritage is just an overall boring album.

"The Devil's Orchard", "I Feel the Dark", "Slither", and "The Lines in My Hands" are the standouts for me.

'Heritage' is what happens when musicians who know nothing about music theory try and write prog rock. Im a fan of most of their other material, but for fucks sake this album is a joke. The drumming is generic and boring (I mean really really bad), the arrangements are clumsy, and the production is flat and dull.

Ive tried to like 'Heritage' since I really dig a lot of their other albums, but whenever I throw it on I just cant help but think this is a perfect example of everything you should NOT do on a prog rock album. I dont know how anyone can possibly see a masterpiece in this failure of an album.

Its not that I think they should be formulaic and not experiment, but quite frankly Opeth arent up to the task of writing prog and 'Heritage' shows.

You guys had to do this the hard way...

I'll start with this comment:

I just cant help but think this is a perfect example of everything you should NOT do on a prog rock album. I dont know how anyone can possibly see a masterpiece in this failure of an album.

Please give an example (or preferably several, since this is hinted at by the word "everything") of something you "should not do on a prog rock album".

NEW ALBUM IS MAD GOOOOD SON!!!!!!!

haters_gonna_hate_3_Oh_this_Just_another_post_from_me-s400x441-207939.png

I enjoy Opeth, not as much as I use too, but have been listening to Heritage on and off since buying it and enjoy it. It's a great album. I don't see how it would be disapointing.

'Heritage' is what happens when musicians who know nothing about music theory try and write prog rock. Im a fan of most of their other material, but for fucks sake this album is a joke. The drumming is generic and boring (I mean really really bad), the arrangements are clumsy, and the production is flat and dull.

Ive tried to like 'Heritage' since I really dig a lot of their other albums, but whenever I throw it on I just cant help but think this is a perfect example of everything you should NOT do on a prog rock album. I dont know how anyone can possibly see a masterpiece in this failure of an album.

Its not that I think they should be formulaic and not experiment, but quite frankly Opeth arent up to the task of writing prog and 'Heritage' shows.

This comment is what happens when someone who has no clue what they're talking about tries to sound like they have sound reasons for dismissing an album. Music theory and audio engineering grad here to laugh at your bullshit.

I would vote for "who the fuck" but it really hurts me that there is such a "music" accepted by people that I have to vote for "not awesome". Opeth is the worst band in the universe. I hate it with such a passion.

EDIT: It’s just so bad in every aspect.

This comment is what happens when someone who has no clue what they're talking about tries to sound like they have sound reasons for dismissing an album. Music theory and audio engineering grad here to laugh at your bullshit.

I admit saying they know 'nothing' about music theory was a little rash, but the rest of my post, however forward and derogatory it may be, is the way I feel about the album; if you dont agree say why, otherwise fuck off. Akerfeldt himself admits to not knowing music theory, though I assume he knows the basics since he can play chords, stay in key, and create a vibe musically.

Crimsonfloyd pretty much summed up my sentiments of the album quite well in his review:
crimsonfloyd said:
On Heritage, for the first time Opeth write flat out boring songs. The compositions are sloppy, the melodies are flavorless and any semblance of mood or emotion is absent. Heritage is essentially a tasteless rip-off of the great prog rock bands of the 70’s. The finger prints of King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes and The Moody Blues are all over this album. However, Opeth don’t take these influences as the foundation from which to create something of their own. Instead, Opeth just lazily rehash the pastoral sound of 70’s prog rock, resulting in a campy mockery of the bands they purportedly are paying tribute to.

zabu of nΩd - this is what im referring to as what NOT to do on a prog rock album. Plus the drumming has as much feel as a drum machine, which is really bad for prog rock imo.