The origins of death metal?

dreaming neon darkspot

natures' retard
May 13, 2002
in times of grace
So...what was the first actual death metal band?When did death metal start.Was it in the early 90's with bands like Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel?Or are there older bands that could be considered death metal?Just curious...

Many listeners consider Death's vocalist/guitarist Chuck Schuldiner the father of death metal. Formed in 1983, the band didn't release their first album until 1987, but became known in the metal underground through their demos and savage live performances. More than any other metal band, Death obsessed over morbid violence and death, all at a pummelling, aggressive pace. With their bleak outlook and uncompromising metal, they gave birth to both the death metal and grindcore subgenres. Throughout the years, the band's lineup changed frequently with Schuldiner remaining the group's mastermind. As the nineties wound down, Schuldiner received the unfortunate news that he had a brain tumor, and Death disbanded as he tried to fight the disease without the pressures of touring or recording. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

p.s. Chuck Schuldiner is now dead (R.I.P.)

Dig back further, and the roots of death Metal begin with two bands. Venom, and Celtic Frost. Yeah, those were also the roots to black metal. Venom opened the road, then Celtic Frost paved the first mile of it. At that point, though, it was still protodeath and protoblack, thrashy and black with vocals so growled they didn't qualify as sung. As is pointed out, Death sort of created death metal as its own subgenre at that point, along with a few lesser-known and less brilliant bands and started making that beautiful, stinky beast known as Death Metal.

I always considered Possessed's Seven Churches to be the first actual death metal album (ca 1986 or so) since it did include the song "Death Metal" on it... Not that other bands weren't doing it first, this just seems to me the earlier official recording of a "death metal" band. Better played than Venom and more violent and faster than Celtic Frost.

Ricoh

i've heard some oooold school shit...

death obsessed lyrics.....frantic music....

i think it was like old 60/70's shit....but it was a bit more "punkish"....but before the punk outbreak....

i think 45 Grave was one of em....lyrics about death...satan...whatever

i could see them as a possible influence on what would be future death acts

Celtic Frost :headbang:
I've been looking more into the older metal bands, and, fortunatley,I mean beyond Black Sabbath.They are the first band that many ppl think of when I say "older metal bands." Then I tell them "No...Celtic Frost,Pentegram,Venom..."and watch the confused expressions on their face in satisfaction.
Oh,hey,anyone Ever hear of a band called Trouble?I heard one of their songs,"Memory's Garden" the other night.They remind me of a combination of Nevermore and Sabbath.Pretty good...though the name is kind of 80's glam metal-ish.

I don't believe there was actual heavy metal(the kind we partke in)before Sabbath.But I hear Sabbath lots of places.I've just gotten inot looking for the more underground roots of metal.And Sabbath aren't death...Celtic Frost are more death-ish...

Originally posted by famousamoswillkillyou
*nods in agreement* How do you make that smiley next to "Celtic Frost" in Darkspot's post? *stupid*
you can either click on "get more" in the icon box thingy and it'll eventually pop up...or you type "rock" and put it between 2 colons:))<---those things,in case I called them by the wrong name.

possessedlogo.gif

:headbang: