The Ring

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
The more I listen to The Ring's "Tales From Midgard" the more I like it. I especially like "Halls of Doom" and "Signs by the Silver Stream." Halls of Doom has a real Black Sabbath (Dio era) feel to it I think, and Signs is a real melodic piece. If you're familiar with The Fellowship of the Ring, it deals with the scene where Frodo tries to give The Ring to the queen elf chick (whatever her name is).

This album just rocks. It's a bit old-school, but not so much so that it totally sounds like something you've heard before, nor does it sound like old. Check it out.

http://www.thering.se/

You can download the first song from the CD from there. It's one of the more "ok" songs on the CD. Not one of my favorites, but it can give you a feel for what they sound like.

I'm trying to find some samples, but most I'm not getting very far. You can try here to get a feel for "Voices of the Fallen Kings" (good tune), "Into the Wild", and "Unite or Fall". The rest of the samples cut off too soon for you to get any kind of idea what the song sounds like.

anyone else see this topic title and think it was going to be off topic about the horror movie? :p

I'm reading the book the original japanese movie was based on right now, and its really good, very creepy.

Mosquito said:
Galadriel

Yeah. That's it.

They do a cool job of changing the whole feel of the song when the two characters are "speaking". The Galadriel part is very high pitched and the music is melodic. The Frodo part is lower pitched and more like doom metal. It's a damn cool song.

I've had this album (cd for you youngsters out there) since shortly after it was released. I probably wouldn't have heard of this band were it not for a sampler I was sent from The End Records.

I like Tales from Midgard. It has a couple of weak points, but overall it's a good concept album. Favorite songs include In the Beginning, Gathering Darkness, Voices of the Fallen Kings, Into the Wild, and Halls of Doom. It loses a little steam toward the end for me. But I enjoy listening to it when the mood strikes.

Thanks for mentioning The Ring. I look forward to their next release. I'll definitely be picking it up.

:kickass:

~Hoyt.

I just noticed that MARCUS JIDELL is in the band, for those of you that don't know he is also the current Guitar player for ROYAL HUNT, that is if the are still together. he is a very accomplised guitar player and i love his work on ROYAL HUNT's "PAPER BLOOD". Oh yeah and by the way JOHN WEST has a new solo album due out in July. I can't wait.

The_Q said:
Hey Yippee when are coming to Impulse next?

Since I don't work over there any more, it will probably be a while. I don't get over that way much now. I also have to watch my spending, so CDs are one of the things I have to do without for a while.