The Rotted – Get Dead or Die Trying

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
The Rotted – Get Dead or Die Trying
Metal Blade – 30 June 2008
By Ryan Starr

61zGK36pszL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Wow, this band sure has come a long way since their creation in 1997. Back then they were called Gorerotted and played sickening goregrind. But Gorerotted’s last album A New Dawn for the Dead signaled a change in their sound. This change ultimately sparked a name change and a new mindset. The Rotted are much darker and dare I say more accessible now. Gone are the putrid riffs that I loved, replaced by a second-rate mix of simplified death metal, groove, and punk.

My biggest gripe about these changes is that they have fallen into cliché. The atmospheric parts are the same quality of Marilyn Manson, and the death metal parts aren’t even on the same level as your average death core band. There is simply nothing exciting about this release. Just a mediocre mix of what bands have gotten famous with for the last 10 years.

Music is obviously a very personal thing, and people have different tastes. But one thing is for sure. Get Dead or Die Trying is either The Rotted’s break out album, or sell out album. I encourage all the listeners out there to check it out and decide for yourself. You can probably pick it up at your local Hot Topic.

Official The Rotted Myspace
Official Metal Blade Website

i love the rotted. i actually love every song on the "get dead or die trying" cd

right on.

feel free to elaborate. i enjoy seeing well thought out rebuttals, and certainly the readers will enjoy seeing different points of view
~gR~

I liked the album. Wouldn't say it was the greatest thing since the aluminum beer can, but I enjoyed it. It seems much more distinct and individual than the old material, which was frankly very juvenile. The songs stood out a bit more, though admittedly they are not as frantic. The Manson comparison comes out of leftfield...I never thought of that once while listening to this.