The Runaways Get Their Own Movie

A7

Live to Win
Feb 9, 2008
Makati, Philippines
www.myspace.com
Coming in 2010 is The Runaways, a biographical movie about the 1970s all-female rock band. Quite frankly, I'm cautious about this movie because of the cast:

Kristen Stewart (Bella in the Twilight movie series) as Joan Jett
Dakota Fanning (Rachel in War of the Worlds) as Cherie Currie
Stella Maeve as Sandy West (who's probably rolling on her grave. God rest her soul.)
Scout Taylor-Compton (Laurie in the new Halloween movie series) as Lita Ford
Alia Shawkat as Robin (a fictional bassist)
Riley Keough (Lisa Marie Presley's daughter) as Marie Currie (Cherie's sister)
Michael Shannon (John in Revolutionary Road) as Kim Fowley (The Runaways' manager)

None of the former bassists of The Runaways are portrayed in this film, presumably due to legal reasons (Joan Jett is currently suing Jackie Fox, claiming she's been interfering with the movie's merchandising and production). Lita Ford says she has nothing to do with the movie.

What next - a Phantom Blue movie?

The Runaways Official Site

That's blasphemy they're not including Jackie Fox. there is a documentary on DVD about the Runaways. Everyone but Joan is interviewed. I use dto have it,it's pretty cool.Vicki Blue who was the bassist towards the end produced that one.
I heard this movie is based on Cherie Currie's book "Neon Angel" (which I have autographed by all 5 classic members) what I don't like about the book is there's only 2 chapters on the Runaways and teh rest is all about her down world spiral in to drugs after she left the band.I hope this is more about the band.

They've been filming in la for months now. Production stills are all over the web. Looks kinda cool actually (don't take a road trip, closed set).

btw: many times they don't get "other members" involved is cuz 90% of the time - you get 5 people throwing their opinoins in the mix, getting lawyers, making demands on the script, and it becomes a big fat headache trying to get it finished (esp if all members no longer like each other). Easier to just have one person involved. (imagine a docu on the iron maidens and getting everyone including ex-members involved!!)

n

Not liking this at all...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lNMF40knjM]The Runaways Preview: Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning[/ame]

And for nostalgic reasons, here's a classic clip from the band's Japan tour:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDn6V7ZLhE]"Cherry Bomb" (Live in Tokyo)[/ame]

Those are big box office actresses, but they mave mighty big shoes to fill! After all, if it wasn't for The Runaways breaking new ground, there might not have been the Go-Gos, Bangles, Phantom Blue, etc. An all-female rock band that plays their own instruments--what a coancept!!! They were the first to achieve fame. Props to the Runaways!

The movie premiered last January at the Sundance Festival and will have a limited US release this Friday, March 19 before its full premiere on April 9. According to Rotten Tomatoes, it's gotten mostly positive reviews, scoring a fresh 71%.

The soundtrack hits stores on March 23 and it features songs from Nick Gilder, Suzi Quatro, David Bowie, MC5, The Stooges and the Sex Pistols. Only four original Runaways songs are included; the rest of their songs are covered by Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning.

It pisses me off how all the media is ignoring Lita Ford as being a major part of the Runways. I think it has a lot to do with Cherie's dislike of her. We're hosting a screening of the film this Sunday at a theater up the street from my house.I just posted my old 2002 interview with Sandy West (R.I.P.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It pisses me off how all the media is ignoring Lita Ford as being a major part of the Runways. I think it has a lot to do with Cherie's dislike of her. We're hosting a screening of the film this Sunday at a theater up the street from my house.I just posted my old 2002 interview with Sandy West (R.I.P.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygiayw6u5PQ

To be fair, throughout her entire solo career even til to this day, Lita has distanced herself from the Runaways and has wanted nothing to do with that period of her life. So it makes sense the marketing behind the movie and former band members would want nothing to do with her either.

I wouldn't be surprised if she gets zero royalties from runaways songs or cds.

n

I finally got to watch this movie last week. If you're expecting a film about the band as a whole, then you will be very disappointed, as 95% of it is about Joan Jett and Cherie Currie while 5% is on Kim Fowley. Lita Ford, Sandy West and the fictional bassist are just movie props. What surprises me is the fact that Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning are actually good actresses here. They both nailed their roles down to the T as Joan and Cherie, respectively. Even their re-enactment of the band's Japanese TV appearance is spot-on (despite using some part of L.A. as a half-assed stand-in for Tokyo). Despite "cherry" bombing at the box-office and the fact that it's not 100% true to the band's origins, The Runaways is actually worth watching.