The Shores of Bodom - Children of Bodom Tribute Song

drawnacrol

7Slinger
Feb 15, 2007
Ireland
www.youtube.com

This is my Children of Bodom tribute song. I often write riffs and leads that are a bit too Bodom sounding so I don't use them in my own music. I ended up with so many that I thought of making a tribute song. I even got Janne's patches which really brought it to life. I hope you guys enjoy this. It was a lot of fun to write and record. I'm curious to see who can pick up on the many song references.

01:00 - 01:17 = Northern Comfort
02:18 - 02:22 = Deadnight Warrior
02:23 - 02:25 = some Sinergy stuff
Outro = mix of The Nail, KTS,

Those are the parts which sound really similar. All other riffs... hard to tell.

But well, my honest opinion: Your playing is great, your guitar tone is great, your composing is great. The keys would harmonize better with some more distortion and some hall or delay and they are partly too loud (but could also be, that my notebook speakers distort them), but the orchestra hits are awesome. The bass sounds not so great. More like a soundfont. The song itself is not what I usually would listen too. Sounds too much like one of those other thousands so called "Bodom like/similar" bands/songs, which, in fact, they aren't.

Reactions: drawnacrol
Cheers Sany!! :kickass:

01:00 - 01:17 = Northern Comfort
02:18 - 02:22 = Deadnight Warrior
02:23 - 02:25 = some Sinergy stuff
Outro = mix of The Nail, KTS,

Good spots. I wrote this song around a year ago so I can't exactly remember what I was referencing at the time. Most of the riffs/leads were ones I came up with years beforehand, some I purposely wrote for this song tweaking Bodom ideas and others were my own ideas I changed into the style of Bodom using Alexi's typical patterns. I'm going to try to remember them as best as I can. Some of these aren't going to be that clear but they were what I had in mind when writing or listening back. For some I'd need to do a video playing back tabs and clips from songs to show how they are connected but here they are anyway.

0:00 - 0:18 = Lead + Keyboard in the intro are more Imperanon sounding than Bodom but its based on Living Dead Beat and inspired a bit by Northern Comfort
0:18 - 0:34 = AYDY rhythm. I can't recall what song exactly. I think its Next in Line
0:33 - 0:51 = Follow the Reaper verse + Hate Me verse and pre-chorus. Keyboards were on Mask of Sanity and Thrashed, Lost, Strungout verses
0:51 - 1:00 = Downfall post-chorus mixed with We're not gonna to fall for the keys and second rhythm while rhythm is variation on a Hate Me/Follow the Reaper lead
1:00 - 1:17 = Tie My Rope
1:17 - 1:26 = Mix of AYDY and BD
1:26 - 1:34 = I was going for a mix of Triple Corpse Hammer Blow mixed with Downfall
1:34 - 1:44 = Not the most Bodom sounding riff but its the bell melody worked into a pedal point riff and has your typical Alexi patterns
1:44 - 2:00 = Mix of Follow the Reaper, Hate me and Towards Dead End. It sounds more Stratovarius with the key, leads + bass though
2:00 - 2:10 = Whammy stuff is just trying to emulate Alexi. Same with the bluesy double stop pentatonic stuff. Ascending whammy part is from Hate Crew Death Roll and Bastards of Bodom solos. I think he's used it in a bunch of other songs too
2:10 - 2:20 = Rhythm Guitar for the solo section is Pussyfoot Miss Suicide pre-solo
2:10 - 2:18 = I'm not a keyboardist so trying to write solos in Janne's style was hard. There's bits from his and Alexi's solo from various songs here
2:18 - 2:27 = Sweep and descending run is Deadnight Warrior, ascending run is a common Alexi lick, Bluesy string skipping is from the Children of Bodom solo, 2nd and 3rd string legato is You're Better off Dead
2:27 - 2:31 = Silent Night Bodom Night pedal point solo and Janne's descending runs he does a lot
2:31 - 2:35 = Typical Alexi 2 string ascending pattern, Angels Don't Kill first solo has a prime example
2:35 - 2:44 = Various Bodom patterns. Originally I had a Sioux City Sasparilla/Hate Me style tapping lick at the end after 4 versions I scrapped it for the descending minor scale.
2:44 - End = Clear reference to Kissing the Shadows pre-solo. Guitar + Harpsichord is Kissing the Shadows mixed with The Nail and a bit of Towards Dead End. Last descending lick is Bodom After Midnight

I think thats everything without going further into referencing songs with Bodom patterns. I'd need a whole video to really get into it. I ended up with another song from ideas that I cut out. Originally the song went a different direction in the middle but felt it was unnecessary and felt a but forced looping back into the solo duel. This one has gotten such a positive response I'll try get that out when I can.

Here's the guitar pro tab if anyone wants to learn it:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9npuptx50vgalvj/Lorcan_Ward_-_The_Shores_of_Bodom.zip/file

But well, my honest opinion: Your playing is great, your guitar tone is great, your composing is great. The keys would harmonize better with some more distortion and some hall or delay and they are partly too loud (but could also be, that my notebook speakers distort them), but the orchestra hits are awesome. The bass sounds not so great. More like a soundfont. The song itself is not what I usually would listen too. Sounds too much like one of those other thousands so called "Bodom like/similar" bands/songs, which, in fact, they aren't.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I didn't want to EQ the keys too much since they were Janne's patches. Honestly I'm not that experienced with mixing. Amp sims and Plug-ins have come on so much in recent years that you can get a good sound without too much knowledge of mixing. Whats strange is on my phone speakers the keyboards stuck out but on my TV speakers they were buried. It was hard to find a volume balance that worked on all speakers, especially when people would mostly listen through phone and computer speakers. Mixing a commercial album must be a nightmare.

When I was younger I always wished Bodom did an instrumental track like In Flames(Wayfarer, dialogue with the stars etc) but now I think that would be a song I'd skip on HB/FTR.

Attachments

• Lorcan Ward - The Shores of Bodom.gp5
    86.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Lorcan Ward - The Shores of Bodom.mp3
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
Could 1:44 not be Warmen Beyond Abilities, reminds me on that.

I used to jam that song all the time. I completely forgot I used to know it and I can hear its influences in my playing.

How long did it take you to compose the song?

Thats a tough question. I start with a few riffs or ideas and write them into guitar pro and it could be weeks or months before I come back and work on it again. Once I had the idea it was a few weeks of coming up with Alexi-esque parts and looking through older guitar pro folders and tabs for riffs & leads that would work in it. Once I started recording I took out some parts and added in new parts. I don't play guitar that often so I just have a folder full of songs I'm working on and depending how I feel or what guitar tuning I'm playing with.

Reactions: Sany
"I don't play guitar that often"

Your skills are fucking insane, though, dude!

The false modesty here from Drawnacrol ^^. Man, I think I speak in the name of many when I say your cover of Kissing the Shadows inspired many of the guitar players on this forum to practice more. I know it motivated me at least, although, to my dismay, I never bested this solo...

Reactions: drawnacrol
The entirety of FTR has always been a dream of mine to play. I've learned every song except KTS over the years. I should probably sit down and figure it out sometime.

Someone sent this to Alexi but I'll never know now if he got to listen to it.

"I don't play guitar that often"

Your skills are fucking insane, though, dude!

Thanks! I played a lot as a teenager but between running my business 7 days a week and family it doesn't leave much time for playing anymore. I'd play everyday if I could but I try to get 1-3 hours a week if I can. KTS is a bit intimidating but keep at it.

The false modesty here from Drawnacrol ^^. Man, I think I speak in the name of many when I say your cover of Kissing the Shadows inspired many of the guitar players on this forum to practice more. I know it motivated me at least, although, to my dismay, I never bested this solo...

Thanks for the kind words! Nearly 14 years since I uploaded that one. Time flies!