The Shred Thread

yourdeadgroom

Black Stone Wielder
May 21, 2001
New Zealand
www.onlinerock.com
You can't go past the 80's without covering the awesome guitar wanking that sooo many shredders did. So, who did you like?

All-time fave is Yngwie, his first 2 albums in particular are awesome.
There was Marty Friedman, both as a soloist, and as one half of Cacophony (with Jason Becker). Man, that band had a shit vocalist, but some awesome lead work. Ninja was a really good song (solong as you ignored the lyrics....)

I hate Malmsteen but that's just me hehe.

Eddie Van Halen is my favourite because I don't think anybody has as much flair and unpredictability as him.
Cacophony is brilliant! Becker/Friedman rock!
I agree about Into The Lungs Of Hell too!!!! I wish Megadeth would open every show with that.

And if you guys wanna hear an album which is non-stop energy the whole time, full of shredding and lead fills fitted into every spot in the riffs possible, and soaring ear-piercing vocals, and all in all just a totally intense glam metal shredfest which can shatter your ears, check out Vinnie Vincent Invasion's debut album (Self titled)!!!!

Oh and Nitro had excellent shredding from Michael Angelo. 4 neck guitar, each with 7 strings, but not a low B string, this guy's 7th string was an extra HIGH string, a high A so he could play ear piercingly high notes!

Originally posted by The Trooper

And if you guys wanna hear an album which is non-stop energy the whole time, full of shredding and lead fills fitted into every spot in the riffs possible, and soaring ear-piercing vocals, and all in all just a totally intense glam metal shredfest which can shatter your ears, check out Vinnie Vincent Invasion's debut album (Self titled)!!!!

Dude you are SO right about that album. That is a killer album!!

It sure is!!!

Some of the actual solos are a little excessive (Boyz Are Gonna Rock for instance), but overall I've never heard such intense guitar work. He mixes the rhythm and lead parts so well, man I love it!

His 1990 Guitars From Hell album sounds like it would RULE too from the demos I've heard from it. It has the original singer from the first VVI album back and the guitars sound even more intense and the lyrics and vocals are just as sleazy and piercing.

I just wish it would get a release!

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
You can't go past the 80's without covering the awesome guitar wanking that sooo many shredders did. So, who did you like?

Wolf Hoffmann from Accept.
Yngwie's first four albums.
Vivian Campbell from Dio
Akira Takasaki from Loudness
Vito Bratta from WHite Lion
Angus !! (anyone who doesn't like him has to see him live)
Eddie !
Jake E. Lee from Ozzy and Badlands

Bryant

Hehehe yep I just mentioned Nitro before.

Nitro rule, i have O.F.R. on vinyl. Its got some great guitar work and REALLY high vocals hehe. Extreme to the max that album is.

hell yeah peoples, all of the above -

for my money the top five for taste , speed and creativity:- in order

Paul Gilbert
Micheal Romeo
Pete Lesperence (Harem Scarem - fkn scary dude)
Malmsteen
Zakk Wylde

but honerable mention to everyone above hahaha

Yngwie Malmsteen - "Marching Out" Cannot be beat! Not only does it shred but the riffing & songwriting is some of Yngwies best work ever!

Vinnie Moore - "Minds Eye" Intense Neo-classical soloing at its finest! His 1st instructional video Rules!

George Lynch - 'Mr Scary' says it all!
Waren D Martini - "Out Of The Cellar" & "Invasion Of Privacy" has some of the best guitar work ever for the 80's! Warren has such an amazing guitar tone & he's also a killer Riff Meister!

Paul Gilbert - Racer X had stupid songs but Killer shredding!

Josh Christian - One of the Most underrated guitarist in Metal! His band TOXIC were amazing! They put out 2 excellent albums in the late 80's "World Circus" & Think This"! Both are very hard to find but are highly recommended!

Jason Becker - "Perpetual Burn" is one of Shrapnels best releases ever! Jason Rules on this! One of the most enjoyable guitar instrumental releases ever!

Check out some Killer/Melodic/Progressive Death/Black Metal!Check out some Killer/Melodic/Progressive/Death/Black Metal!