The state of Norwegian Gothic Metal

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
So what do you think?

Theatre of Tragedy and Tristania (and probably many others) have taken various turns in their careers. Are you guys for or against the modernisation that seems to be the trendy thing these days.

Does anyone miss the 'Velvet Darkness They Fear'/'Widow's Weeds' days?

I certainly do.

I think that we call "gothic metal" has generally changed (not just in Norway). It become very famous a few years back and now it seems that there are too many bands out there that try to play this way. So, most of the bands that appeared earlier gradually started to changing their style. I don't believe that's necessarily bad. "Musique" and "Assembly", for example, may not be masterpieces but they're quite good and they're nice if you want to listen to something less demanding and more "relaxed". Of course, not everyone made those changes worked, so we saw some horrible stuff. Anyway, I can't say I miss the old days, they were kind of fun but the world moves one. It's always good to hear some new ideas and styles. And to tell you the truth, I don't think that Norway had that big a "gothic metal" scene. The bands (at least the good ones) were few....

Originally posted by requiem
Does anyone miss the 'Velvet Darkness They Fear'/'Widow's Weeds' days?

Theater of Tragedy had like two good songs from their debut. The first song and the song where Liv Christine sings solo.

VDTF blew all the way through, as did Aegis.

Widows Weeds had a few good songs and is definitely their best. The next two suck.

THis is just my opinion of course.

:)

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Theater of Tragedy had like two good songs from their debut. The first song and the song where Liv Christine sings solo.

VDTF blew all the way through, as did Aegis.

Widows Weeds had a few good songs and is definitely their best. The next two suck.

THis is just my opinion of course.

:)

Your opinion is at the same time bizarre and exasperating.

I seriously tried to get into their music, but failed. Maybe I need to dig the ear wax out, huh? Oh well....

Just take the label Century Media, they almost destroyed every band that once was great, or is it just pure chance that all the bands that were or came to century media kind of radically changed their style??

I like Trail of Tears...they were the first Gothic Metal band I listened to, maybe they're the heaviest of the style out there...they have some parts in their songs with real death metal drumming (I don't mean blasts, I mean those snare, kick, snare, kick... stuff). They seemed to get more popular with their 2nd album...but I only have the debut.

I read some good things about the new one, I guess I'll buy it. But this damn shop here still doesn't have it, although the release date was on monday...

Sirenia is another good Goth band...I prefer their female vocals to the opera style of the other bands.

There is actually one very decent Norwegian goth metal band still in existance for those who like the style, Enslavement of Beauty.

I bought the new Trail of Tears yesterday - it rules!!

Be sure to get it, if you are into Gothic Metal with a heavier edge...

Originally posted by MadTinus
Trail Of Tears anyone?

yes, i am :D i really like their second album "Profundemonium", hard and more aggressive than "Disclosure in Red". Trail is very interesing band, because they never forget about black roots. and Ronny is growling master! i love his vocals on Trail albums or Blood Red Throne promo and Scariot debut (anyone SCARIOT?)...

to sad, i don't heard new Trail album yet...

Originally posted by falling bird
Just take the label Century Media, they almost destroyed every band that once was great, or is it just pure chance that all the bands that were or came to century media kind of radically changed their style??

I hear you on that one, Falling Bird. All those bands got thrown into Woodhouse Studios in Germany and you can tell that production a mile away.

Sentenced, The Gathering, Theatre of Tragedy (Aegis), Moonspell, and a hell of lot of lesser bands went in there. The production is pretty good, but really plastic and safe... It was a late 90's thing :lol: