The Tolkki Curse Strikes Again...

Shredgirl

Can You Remember?
Feb 8, 2011
Another World
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159322

SYMFONIA Parts Ways With Drummer ULI KUSCH - June 12, 2011

SYMFONIA — the new melodic metal project featuring Timo Tolkki (STRATOVARIUS, REVOLUTION RENAISSANCE) on guitar, André Matos (ANGRA, SHAAMAN, VIPER) on vocals, Jari Kainulainen (STRATOVARIUS, EVERGREY) on bass, Mikko Härkin (SONATA ARCTICA, KOTIPELTO) on keyboards, and Uli Kusch (MASTERPLAN, HELLOWEEN) on drums — has issued the following update:

"We would like to thank all of you who have supported us and our 'In Paradisum' in the last months. We have received a very good response both in sales and in reviews for the album.

"We are sorry for the lack of news but we have had a good reason for the silence.
We have been waiting for our friend Uli to get better with his hand [after suffering from nerve damage]. We knew we took a risk in waiting, but we considered it best for the band. This is why there has not been any shows so far apart from Helsinki Metal Meeting in February.

"A few weeks ago, we received more news from Uli's doctors and they were very bad. They said that it is not likely that he could play drums this year at all. After talking with Uli and in mutual understanding, we agreed to continue SYMFONIA without him. It is a painful decision for all of us, but after Uli told us it is best for us to go on without him and not to wait anymore due to uncertain future with his hand, we decided to do this. And the truth is, we simply cannot wait any longer.

"We will do some shows with Alex Landenburg [AT VANCE, ANNIHILATOR, MEKONG DELTA, STRATOVARIUS] as a substitute drummer and then go straight to the studio to record a follow-up to 'In Paradisum' for March 2012 release. We already have a good idea how the album will be and we apologize to all those who have been waiting to see us live. Unfortunately, due to the impossible circumstances, it has not been possible, but we will correct this with the next album next year.

"We don't feel that it is the right move now to book more shows than these. We feel it is time for a new SYMFONIA album and then book the shows. We have a lot of time to do this now that the situation is clear with Uli.

"The shows are as follows [below]. Additional shows are still possible for Argentina, Chile, Colombia and some other Latin American countries. The agents are booking them at this very moment."

Jul. 06 - Helsinki, FIN @ Tavastia
Jul. 08 - FRA @ Sonisphere
Jul. 30 - Brasilia, BRA @ Porao do Rock
Jul. 31 - São Paulo, BRA @ Citibank Hall
Aug. 02 - Porto Alegre, BRA @ Bar Opiniao
Aug. 05 - Teresina, BRA @ [to be announced]
Aug. 06 - Sao Luis, BRA @ [to be announced]
Aug. 07 - Rio de Janeiro, BRA @ Fundição Progresso

"In Paradisum", the debut album from SYMFONIA, was released in April in Europe via Edel Germany GmbH and in North America through Armoury Records.

SYMFONIA made its live debut on February 18 at the Finnish Metal Expo (part of the Helsinki Metal Meeting) in Helsinki, Finland.

For more information, visit www.symfonia.fi.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was afraid something like this was going to happen the minute things got under way. :confused:

Shame really as he had a very good line up and I actually had high hopes of seeing these guys together for a while.

I wouldn't call that the Tolkki curse necessarily since it's simply a problem with Uli's health and not any turmoil within the band, but yeah, it really does suck. I was afraid something like this would happen when they first announced his injury.

I'm confident they'll get a new drummer who can fill his shoes. I mean, Symfonia's drum parts aren't exactly crazy hard other than speed, they'll get somebody who can take his place nicely. Not to undermine Uli's abilities or anything, but yeah. Symfonia isn't dead either, they still have 3 albums to make under their contract with the label. And Tolkki still has plans for touring, so that's good.

Anything's better than Revolution Renaissance, anyway. Those few years were kind of.. a mess. Not just the albums, but.. the touring and all that. Gus Monsanto butchered Strato's old tunes live.

Coincidence or curse?

It's the "Tolkki Curse" as in anytime he gets something together now, something always happens down the line now that ends up ruining everything and I can foresee this as the beginning of the end.. :(

I'm sure they'll be able to get a new drummer too, but they've already canceled shows and he's moving on to his focus on the new album a little too early I think.

I actually really liked RR's material too, in fact New Era and In Paradisum are very similarly written, they're both Stratovarius records for sure! :D w00t!

I hope I'm wrong, however, only time will tell.

I have faith in Tolkki since he seems to have cleared his head a little after Revolution Renaissance. Now that he's in a band with musicians who are all highly capable musicians and has seemed to regain a little power metal creativity (though not entirely back to his Visions days of glory), I'm confident in what he'll bring to the table next year.

He has kept his word since Symfonia was announced - some very nice video updates and interviews with the band, he kept people updated, they played their debut as announced and the album came quickly and almost to the date he predicted. I'm really looking forward to how the band works on the follow-up now that they've had more time to play together and will have quite a few months to work on it. Though I hope Andre's vocals are forced to a crazy high level as they were in this album - he should take it a little easy. I would love to hear more songs in the vein of Forevermore, Fields of Avalon, and Santiago, even though they are par for the power metal course.

Plus, let's not forget Uli doesn't have the best track record either - I remember he disbanded Ride the Sky simply because of sales on the debut album. Yeah, you're Uli Kusch, but you can't really expect your band to be selling great numbers these days. I bought the album and it's not bad, I would have liked to see more songs like The Prince of Darkness and A Smile From Heaven's Eye on a follow-up...

Keeping fingers crossed this isn't the start of some inevitable demise, certainly more Symfonia to blot out RR from the pages of metal history can only be a good thing :) Still, a hand injury and a few cancelled shows are no portents of doom, I hope to hear them announce more tour dates & the next album soon.

Keeping fingers crossed this isn't the start of some inevitable demise, certainly more Symfonia to blot out RR from the pages of metal history can only be a good thing :) Still, a hand injury and a few cancelled shows are no portents of doom, I hope to hear them announce more tour dates & the next album soon.

History can never blot out Tolkki's legacy of doom, it will always come back to haunt him like a Fright Night. ;)

But I do fear the worst, the hands of doom are already working once again..